Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hail damage removal

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Hey Guys,

No doubt there's a lot of people who recently got some hail damage. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before and the best way to go about removing them???

- Insurance
- Panel beater
- Mobile dent removal
- Dent puller, push out from behind.

I've heard the mobile guys here in Sydney can be $50-$70 a dent, which can get real expensive real fast. I'm not afraid to pull off the bonnet liner and try to push them out myself (or even use a dent puller) but the roof is going to be difficult.

Cheers.

vl_nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon, VF Redline
dent removal is not as easy as you think, it takes quite a knack to get them perfect. Depending on how many there are and how bad they are, I would get a quote from a dent guy as the first step.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bonnet will have a double panel....so getting them from behind might prove difficult for the ones behind the double panelled section...

Get a quote, as suggested and if insured, see if the insurance company will help out

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
i think you'll find most pdr guys will charge by the hour for hail damage otherwise the price would be ridiculous! It wont hurt to get a quote

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
On the VF, Holden will not repair the aluminium bonnet or boot, they need to be replaced.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Depending on the severity the VF aluminum bonnet and boots can be repaired by pdr. We just had a few repaired in Perth from the storm 3 weeks ago.

Our VF's were repaired for around $3,000 all up, using only PDR. Be careful who you use, some people have good experience with hail and PDR, whereas others are only new to the game.

Insurance quotes for PDR hail repair will be considerably higher than the above price. In PDR speak, hail is very similar to the word wedding.... :).

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had hail damage on one of my VE's. Was camping at the time and was nearly 3 days before I noticed. Although the car was less than 10' away I was in no state to drive that weekend much less see with any sort of focus but we digress. Just take it to the insurance company and make it their problem :)

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
We had a massive hail storm here in Melbourne about 4 or 5 years back, my daughter's Mazda 3 got probably a hundred or more dents on it, went through insurance and there were so many cars damaged that RACV brought in PDR crews from interstate, the guys that did our Mazda 3 were from Sydney, RACV flew them down and hired a warehouse and they had 6 to 9 months work here, I was talking to the guy that ran the show and he told me they had travelled all over the world fixing hail damage, sort of hail chasers, they did a brilliant job on the Mazda it was perfect when we got it back and no marks or blemishes have returned. Big job, from memory there was around $8K to $9k damage, roof, bonnet, boot, tops of doors. Their work was absolutely perfect though, very happy with the result considering how bad it got hit.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sounds like an insurance job to me.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Update:

Had a quote from a local guy, Sam from "Dent Masters", really nice guy and really helpful. Given the number of dents (and quite a few I didn't see), he can do the whole car for $900 or just the bonnet and roof for $500. He said it may be borderline insurance but given my excess is up at $1000, that's my last resort. He also had concerns of the aluminium bonnet as to whether or not it can be fixed but is willing to try.

For anyone playing at home, all my dents are quite shallow. There is about 8 dents on the roof, 10 on the bonnet, 2 on the left guard, 2 on the rear quarter and 2 on the boot lid.

I've also heard that if hail damage repaired through insurance, it can end up on your REVS check. Anyone confirm?