Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hail Storm damaged

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've had a car written off due to hail damage, but it was nine years old and the repair bill exceeded half the cars value. Late models like a VF would have to suffer somewhere like 10 to 15k damage to be a write off if my experience is any guide.

monarodave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV wagon, VF SSV, VP SS & '69 HT Monaro GTS
I second the notion of getting a quote yourself from a repairer that is anal about doing things right. Even if it costs a little bit more, the outcome will be better than some of the clowns out there. I had someone smash into me just before Christmas, I had to go back to the smash repairer three times to get their dodgy "repairs" repaired again. The insurance company were really hopeless too and I had to chase them up for everything.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My daughter had a VH that got bad hail damaged many years ago. It got a new bonnet, roof and boot. Came back looking just like new.
Don't know much about how the replacement roof affected the structural integrity, and luckily, she never had reason to find out.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Don't know much about how the replacement roof affected the structural integrity, and luckily, she never had reason to find out.

It doesn't. The roof skin can be unpicked and replaced independently of the structural pillars and cross-bracing.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Not a bad idea if you know its coming and can get it under cover ...

957a5286d30eeeb316afc82d0cdd81f8

I haven’t been caught in a big hail storm myself, but I did hear about a resourceful idea that some people came up with in the heat of the moment. They sought as much cover as they could find, then placed their floor mats, boot liners, and what have you, over their car to minimise the damage. I suppose that protecting even just one panel (such as the roof) would be very worthwhile.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
When you run out into a hail storm to cover your car you want to make sure you don't get cleaned up yourself.

One of those big buggers to the scone and you may never get up again.

About 30 years ago we had all our front floor to ceiling windows in our house blown out within 30 seconds of a storm starting and while we stood looking at the gapping hole in the living room we watched the neighbour's dog run for cover under a shrub, the hail killed it.

I love my cars but not that much.

I have 3 very large and thick dog mattresses in my garage that I used to use for a daily driver that I had no undercover space for.

I'd place them on the bonnet, roof and boot then tie a car cover over them if I knew there were hail storms in the area but I'd never go out and do it after one started.

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Never get hail like that in adelaide. Probably will as the climate gets worse.