Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Halal Certification (WOW!)

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I am trying to have a Halal free year this year. I stopped buying Vegemite after i saw the Halal symbol on it. looks like Coopers is a no go too if it is Halal certified. It takes a bit longer to do the shopping when you have to check for the Halal logo but i think everyone should turn against Halal products as a form of protest against the companies that cave in to supporting this crap.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I am trying to have a Halal free year this year. I stopped buying Vegemite after i saw the Halal symbol on it. looks like Coopers is a no go too if it is Halal certified. It takes a bit longer to do the shopping when you have to check for the Halal logo but i think everyone should turn against Halal products as a form of protest against the companies that cave in to supporting this crap.

What about Kosher certification? Should we boycott those companies/products too?
Here's a list in case we should.
Kosher Made Easy! Kashrut Authority of Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific Region - Certified Companies

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
That is the first i have heard of Kosher certification. Makes me wish that Hitler was allowed to keep going when i see things like this.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Meh, if I really wanted to stop supporting middle eastern terrorism I would stop buying crude oil if I were you.....something like 20% of our oil comes from ME.

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in cost of Halal vs non-halal foods. To get certification on an item might be, say $3k. Spread out over a hundred thousand items this cost is negligible.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon

You sir are a racist.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
That is the first i have heard of Kosher certification. Makes me wish that Hitler was allowed to keep going when i see things like this.

Now that's just idiotic , : / You're just being deliberately provocative doing this , please desist .

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This certification issue raises a few questions for me.

1. To whom is the "Halal Certification" fee, if any, paid?
2. How much does it cost?
3. How significant has the Muslim population become as a potential market share, if it is worth going to the trouble of getting this certification, just so that Muslims will consume the product?
4. When you think of a product like Vegemite, which is basically just a yeast extract, why would this certification be required? I can understand meat products being subject to Halal limitations as they might contain pork, but where's the risk with yeast, salt, additives and water? Is it the flavouring additives that might be meat sourced?

And I guess the same questions could be asked of kosher products as well.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
This certification issue raises a few questions for me.

1. To whom is the "Halal Certification" fee, if any, paid?
2. How much does it cost?
3. How significant has the Muslim population become as a potential market share, if it is worth going to the trouble of getting this certification, just so that Muslims will consume the product?
4. When you think of a product like Vegemite, which is basically just a yeast extract, why would this certification be required? I can understand meat products being subject to Halal limitations as they might contain pork, but where's the risk with yeast, salt, additives and water? Is it the flavouring additives that might be meat sourced?

And I guess the same questions could be asked of kosher products as well.

1. Not sure but answer would be a google away
2. Apparently it is ~$1000 per food item. Petty cash for Big Food.
3. Assuming that muslims buy the same value of groceries as everyone else, Muslim population in Australia is 2.5%. Not high, but processed food market is very competitive, and any advantage (or parity) with competitors is a plus.
4. Animal-sourced additives are prevalent in processed food. Eg. The dye that colours red smarties comes from beetles. Its a reason why veganism is really, really difficult.

Kosher foods have been in Australia for around 50 years. Similar labelling exists on some products for vegetarianism, veganism, Ausbuy, heart tick etc. Even the nutrition panel data is based on experiments that aren't free.