Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Halfway there-

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I've been having a problem with my VP for a while now, and while it's improved, its still a long way from being fixed. There is a loud knocking noise coming from the engine when i pull up and idle, (sounds like a drum kit under there!!) Now one guy said it was the gearbox mount- did that, and no difference. Someone else (these are mechanic's by the way) told me it was the engine mounts. Replaced these, and it made it better. It dosent make the niose anymore when idling, but if you take your foot off the brake and the car (auto) moves forward the niose comes back, when you accelerate, it stops. Now someone else is telling me it could be a burnt valve... I dont know what to do because i can't keep throwing money at it and not always getting results..??Had anyone else had a similar problem. The niose is hard to describe in words obviously, but a knocking sound, or beat, every 1/2 second, so it's a fairly fast knocking niose if that helps:bang:

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
is the sounds kinda like plastic hitting a spinnding fan??? if so mine does that consistetly and increases with the revs, not sure wat it i though sorry

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
No nothing like that, it doesnt do it at all when you drive. Only when you take your foot of the brake and the car moves forward, only at those revs. Checked harmonic balancer too and it' fine. Its a very nasty noise to hear coming from your pride and joy:cry: I've been told that the car has a slight missfire, when it's idling, Ive hardly noticed cause they were such a rough motor anyway, whether or not it's related to that i'm not sure.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Find out exactly where it's comming from first

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
I had a tapping sound coming from my rockers, dont know what oil the previous owner used. But I bought a thicker oil and it fixed the problem, though like greenfoam said you need to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from. Other wise your chasing a chicken without a head..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Im not sure on what type of oil has been used in it previously, but i did like you did, i serviced i when i got it and put a thick oil in it, i've done all the right things in my mind, but i cant figure out rxactly where the damn noise is comming from. I guess my next step is save up a bit more and drop it of at Ultra Tune. I'll just say to the guy, i dont care if you have to keep my car for a week and use it yourself everyday to get t work and back , just drive it until you hear that noise and then fix the ****er!!

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i had a scary knock coming from my engine a few months after i bought my car, i shat my pants then diagnosed it to be the water pump. this probably isn't your problem, but to find out where it's coming from try using a big ass screwdriver and putting it to different parts of your engine with the handle to your ear. works a treat, you can really hear what's going on. just be careful though :p

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Take the inspection cover off and have a look at your flex plate :). I had a knocking noise. Replaced the balancer and diddnt help. Inspection cover off and busted flex plate. It had the symptoms of a balancer (noise dissapears on acceleration).

I first though it was the rockers. Very hard to pin point the noise because it could be heard all over the engine bay. But what made me think it was major is when I revved the car by hand at the throttle body I could feel the knocking :p.

Edit: Sound clip added (taken from phone)

IMG_1396Small.jpg

Attachments

• VN noise.zip
    32.8 KB · Views: 120

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thanks azzfox i'll look into it, your right the noise is to hard to pinpiont where it's coming from. The balancer was replaced not long before i brought the car, and i've had it inspected since, but i'm not sure if they took it apart and looked at the flex plate.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i had a scary knock coming from my engine a few months after i bought my car, i shat my pants then diagnosed it to be the water pump. this probably isn't your problem, but to find out where it's coming from try using a big ass screwdriver and putting it to different parts of your engine with the handle to your ear. works a treat, you can really hear what's going on. just be careful though :p

I'll have a look at the flex plate and if its alright i'll give that a go, does anyone know roughly how much a new flex plate would set me back if i was to replace it myself?:thumbsup: