Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hand brake button getting stuck sometimes

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hi all, I have done a search and see it is a common problem as our cars age.
The rubber button swells over time and gets very slow releasing back out again or sometimes the button doesn't want to back out at all.
Could someone please tell me how do you get the button out without stuffing up the workings of it all ? and the button would be spring loaded of course, when installing the spring back in, does the spring lock back into place again ? I realize the button has to be glued back onto the spring.
As always appreciate any help
thanks

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hasn't anybody fixed there handbrake button yet ?
Do I force the button out with a screwdriver or what ? I done a good search but can't see how this button comes out so I can sus out what to do.
I don't want to brake anything there trying to fix this annoying problem.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi Ron, I have fixed this problem but the button actually came out on its own so didn't have to deal with getting it off. I suggest gripping it with perhaps multi grips with some padding between the jaws and twisting carefully. The spring is pretty strong and may go flying when the button comes off. It is possible for the internal shaft to slide down the handle so try to avoid excessive use while button is off. I sanded the button on a linisher sander with a dull belt to reduce its diameter, gave it a coat or 2 of shellac to seal it (a touch anal, I know) and epoxied it back on. Secured with strong masking tape while glue dried so the spring didn't pop it back off. I also put a little rolled up ball of paper in the end of the hole to reduce its depth as, prior to the fix, the button was awkward to release as not a lot of button was exposed.
I have had the epoxy let go and the button go flying once since the repair and simply reglued it. I figure the inside of a car gets pretty super heated enough to compromise most glues over time. I have thought about making a nice wooden button but, tbh, there are more pressing problems that need attention than the handbrake button. Bit of a love/hate relationship at the moment.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks Rob, I actually just come back inside after fixing it and checked the posts.
The button come off pretty easily, just tapped it forward, I just used my bench grinder to bring it down to size, now I am just waiting for the glue to harden.
Thanks very much anyway and have a great day.

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
No worries. Hope it all works fine once the glue dries. What glue did you use?

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
No worries. Hope it all works fine once the glue dries. What glue did you use?
Thanks mate, I could not find the glue I wanted at the time so I just used some cheap glue I found laying around, let it set for over 15 hours and it has done the job for now.
I have since found the glue I wanted to use, Selleys " Kwick Grip" temperature resistant glue, I used it for the head lining of my car a while back, it is good stuff.
So if it does pop out in the summer I will use that for sure.

Last edited: