Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hand break warning light warning light

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Sorry. I know this thread is quite old, but my partner rang me and described the exact same thing happened to her as what the op has explained.
I'm at work and she's getting car towed home, but it's 2 hours before everyone closes for the Australia day long weekend, so no mechanic will be able to even look at it until next week some time.
So maybe, someone else has had this happen and can give some advice?
Same model car too. VX sedan.
Thanks.
where abouts are you
melbourne doesnt tell much
maybe someone close could swing by for a quick look

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Brake pedal spongy likely air in lines...which could mean a leak in the lines ..check fluid level because if its very low or empty its possible the system has a leak, check flexilines (rubber hoses for cracking/bubbling) to all 4 calipers...look for signs of leakage on inside of all wheels (caliper piston leaking) inside wheel rim will be stained compared to others..check for rust /kinks/dents/grazes on the metal lines that run underneath car (could be a stained patch also on underfloor where line runs)... check brake caliper nipples for signs of leakage and pad thickness..... basically the front and rear systems are fed by the same master cylinder but are still divided (safety feature) ...the handbrake is cable actuated...master cylinder leak will likely run down booster (under the bonnet)...but on cars without booster usually inside car where foot pedal rod connects to the master cylinder... if your not experienced likely best to get an expert to sort it for you... If a caliper piston or master cylinder is leaking cheapest option is buy another from wreckers and fit it taking care not to damage the caliper flexi hose line/metal lines to master...if the metal lines under the car are leaking ...its best left to experts as pulling a line from under spare parts car is no easy task (rivets have to be pulled plus the differential axles get in the way and easier to take fuel lines with it))...It is possible to pull the lines with diff fitted but it takes patience and alot of fiddling and all 4 of car needs to be on stands. Other possibility is ABS pump/unit...which would light up abs on dash...fix for this is replace with same part number... Flush and bleed system furtherest caliper to closest to master cylinder...there will be a thread here or youtube on it...looking for firm high brake pedal at end of it... If brake pedals ok, it could be the switch to the handbrake lever has got damaged...handbrake down light should go off.... handbrake up light should come on...roll car forward pull handbrake to check if its working (car should stop on grass both wheels should leave an equal skid mark indicating left / right balance)...check cables ...theres an adjuster on the handbrake lever (10mm?)......but if its uneven you will have to adjust at wheels ..(youtube) Brake booster problem pedal will be much harder to brake, whistle noise / uneven idle check hose to booster.. check wiring plug to master cylinder is hooked up (warning light)... Good Luck.

Last edited:

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thank for all that bluehighway. I have no problems working on brakes.
Was just hoping, but highly unlikely, that the op would come back. But only 3 posts and years ago, so doubted it
Never ever had to do handbrake stuff. Just the way it's worked out.
It is strange that it is the exact same symptoms as the op's post. Same car too.
I'll put it up on stands and start looking for leaks, and then start at the rear brakes area.
And I'll post back with my findings.

WitiTune

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Senator
Sorry. I know this thread is quite old, but my partner rang me and described the exact same thing happened to her as what the op has explained.
I'm at work and she's getting car towed home, but it's 2 hours before everyone closes for the Australia day long weekend, so no mechanic will be able to even look at it until next week some time.
So maybe, someone else has had this happen and can give some advice?
Same model car too. VX sedan.
Thanks.
Check your brakefluid level

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
I had a similar issue with my VX SS, turned out to be the handbrake handle was not tight, it had small play sideways which ment bump or moved the handle the light came on.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I thank you for all your replies, but it's more than just the handbrake handle. Brakes were smelling and pedal sometimes spongey.
I won't know any more until I get a chance to look at it tomorrow.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
ABS problem maybe, that can make the brake pedal feel spongey if you can't find anything else wrong with it. It has many relays in it one may be stuck on. Smelling brakes sounds like the handbrake was left on.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I'm back. First up, handbrake wasn't left on. She's a better driver then that.
Racv bloke said when it makes those beep alarms, it's usually hydraulic problems.
Anyhow, up on stands, wheels off, no wear at all on handbrake pads, so it's not that.
Rear pads were past usable, so replaced them.
Then the fronts were also on the limit, so replaced them.
Bled the brake system, and brakes work well, but still spongier than it was before, so it's off to a mechanic this week, as I can't do abs stuff, and not just throwing money at it.
It'll be abs or master cylinder but I don't know which.