Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake Adjustment VZ Commodore

famico

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim wagon
Hey impulsive, I'm new here so be gentle.
I followed this brake adjustment thread a week ago because my handbrake on my VZ (my travelling castle) was getting mushy like a chick flick watchin' woman.
With previous experience on the VXII executive, It is imperative that the adjustment is made at the wheel end. I say this, as a certain dodgy auto repair centre in Pagewood that rhymes with slay-tart, did an adjustment near the handbrake by fiddling the screw, and I can remember it was sounding like 2 bricks being banged together as the cable suddenly went taut and engaged the rear brake shoes. Very uncool. Not as uncool as going to those hack bastards to get my holden fixed in the first place mind you.
The process of jacking up car and putting it on stands and removing the rear wheels is a little bit of work, but finding the holes in the hubs is easy, and then lining it up and fiddling with screwdriver on the notched cog. Remembering to go up on one side and down on the other. After dropping the vehicle down, it is satisfying to get proper brake action with 5 clicks like Veriton posted further down this thread, and thanks Veriton for the correct way to fix this problem.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just a note with the VZs if you over adjust the handbrake ie dont back it off enough after it locks the wheel up, you will get a vibration from the rear at around freeway speeds.

Also, prior to adjusting at the wheels its a good idea to back off the 10mm nut at the handbrake lever, then tighten after adjusting the wheels. 6-8 clicks is normally a good adjustment.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Hey impulsive, I'm new here so be gentle.
I followed this brake adjustment thread a week ago because my handbrake on my VZ (my travelling castle) was getting mushy like a chick flick watchin' woman.
With previous experience on the VXII executive, It is imperative that the adjustment is made at the wheel end. I say this, as a certain dodgy auto repair centre in Pagewood that rhymes with slay-tart, did an adjustment near the handbrake by fiddling the screw, and I can remember it was sounding like 2 bricks being banged together as the cable suddenly went taut and engaged the rear brake shoes. Very uncool. Not as uncool as going to those hack bastards to get my holden fixed in the first place mind you.
The process of jacking up car and putting it on stands and removing the rear wheels is a little bit of work, but finding the holes in the hubs is easy, and then lining it up and fiddling with screwdriver on the notched cog. Remembering to go up on one side and down on the other. After dropping the vehicle down, it is satisfying to get proper brake action with 5 clicks like Veriton posted further down this thread, and thanks Veriton for the correct way to fix this problem.

Glad this thread has helped someone else.. as for workshop's, i do most of my own work now.. Atleast i know it is done properly

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'll be having a crack at this soon too, all my brake system needs to be readjusted.
It feels like there is too much contact between my pads and the disks, specially the front wheels.

How can you have too much contact? What do you mean?

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
How can you have too much contact? What do you mean?

For example if I have the front wheels raised of the floor and spin them by hand there is a slight friction which doesn't make the wheel spin freely.

When I'm driving at very low speeds rolling with the windows down I can very very lightly hear the contact friction between the pads and the discs.

Is it supposed to have that minimal friction??

Other times the brakes again at very lows speed will squeak (non continues squeak Cii...Cii...Cii..) with out me touching the brake pedal at all.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
For example if I have the front wheels raised of the floor and spin them by hand there is a slight friction which doesn't make the wheel spin freely.

When I'm driving at very low speeds rolling with the windows down I can very very lightly hear the contact friction between the pads and the discs.

Other times the brakes again at very lows speed will squeak (non continues squeak Cii...Cii...Cii..) with out me touching the brake pedal at all.

You can't adjust disc brakes, on your car you would only be able to adjust the handbrake shoes which are on the inside the rear brake rotors.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Pads shouldnt contact discs enough to cause resistance when the brake pedal isnt depressed. Might pay to get the calipers looked at/serviced.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Try harder. If you put the screw driver in too far it won't move. Or it could be wound all the way in, try going the other way, down instead of up, or up instead of down.