Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake adjustment

IvegotaCommy

VN Executive S/W V6 3800
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
What is the best method for adjusting the handbrake on a VN wagon? Had a look at the book and I think their method is dumb. They set the shoes using a calipher, which might work OK in the factory but makes no allowance for wear at all.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I just adjusted the cable nuts on the adjuster connected to the handbrake until the rear wheels wouldn't move with the hand brake engaged, and would move freely with it disengaged. My handbrake works really well now

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
is this the reason why most VN-VS commodores roll a bit forward/backwards once the handbrake is engaged and in Park?

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
adjusting the nuts just near the center muffler/exhaust (well in that area) is the best way to go.. just screw the bolts slowly, checking how many clicks your handbrake takes to get tight while your doing it. should be around 5 clicks before its tight

EDIT: the bolt to adjust the hadbrake is right next to the cat. i did mine today.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The correct way to adjust the handbrake is to back the cable off until it is loose, then adjust the shoes inside the rotos through the hole in the side next to the wheel studs. Adjust it up until the wheel stops, then back off two clicks. Then adjust the cable until you have 4-5 clicks on the ratchet.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The correct way to adjust the handbrake is to back the cable off until it is loose, then adjust the shoes inside the rotos through the hole in the side next to the wheel studs. Adjust it up until the wheel stops, then back off two clicks. Then adjust the cable until you have 4-5 clicks on the ratchet.
iv always thought that you needed to take the rotors off to adjust the shoes so have always just adjusted at the lever :p will investigate further next time it needs adjusting..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a hole in the rotor that lines up with the hole in the axle, if they are fitted correctly.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
You need to adjust both the shoes and the cable to get the best handbrake action. Particularly if you use the car in skidpan or motorkhana events. You need the shoes balanced so each wheel grabs at about the same time (hence the shoe adjustment), plus you need the brakes to grab with minimal handbrake lever movement (hence cable adjustment).

HOWEVER be careful not to over adjust it as I have found the mechanism can "wind up" and leave the brake partially on.

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
grab two 10mm or 12mm spanners i think get under you car and tighten one nut then tighten the other its **** easy just behind the gearbox we do it a work all the time

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That would be just a cable adjustment. To do it properly, as I and TurboXS have said, you need to adjust the shoes as well.