Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake Bang

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I have been into the handbrake assembly so many times and readjusted everything and spray the springs and it still makes this noise.
Sometimes it works for a bit then comes back...
When I take off I get a bang noise coming from the rear. Turning corners and stop starting still makes the noise. I know it's the hand brake because when I drive along and apply it I get the bang.
Are the shoes moving and slapping around or something?
Handbrake works good...But this banging noise really shits me to tears after so many times ripping the rotors off and trying to find the problem.
The shoes still look to have a fair bit of meat left on them and everything looks to be good so I'm stuck with idea's!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
do you use your handbrake during take off ? I don't think the noise is coming from the handbrake. It could be something loose in the rear suspension.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Deferentially not the suspension. Every part of the suspension has been replaced and checked.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
I have been into the handbrake assembly so many times and readjusted everything and spray the springs and it still makes this noise.
Sometimes it works for a bit then comes back...
When I take off I get a bang noise coming from the rear. Turning corners and stop starting still makes the noise. I know it's the hand brake because when I drive along and apply it I get the bang.
Are the shoes moving and slapping around or something?
Handbrake works good...But this banging noise really shits me to tears after so many times ripping the rotors off and trying to find the problem.
The shoes still look to have a fair bit of meat left on them and everything looks to be good so I'm stuck with idea's!

I feel your pain,having exactly the same issue with my car....sorta a cyclic knock noise.....donk..donk..donk..donk....thought it might have been the diff bearings so i changed them when i put the 3.45s and spool in,but its still there.......passenger side on mine.....i just gave up trying to fix it in the end....i got better speakers.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I feel your pain,having exactly the same issue with my car....sorta a cyclic knock noise.....donk..donk..donk..donk....thought it might have been the diff bearings so i changed them when i put the 3.45s and spool in,but its still there.......passenger side on mine.....i just gave up trying to fix it in the end....i got better speakers.

LOL...better speakers would fix it. :p
Doesn't sound good though hey? I'm really stuck with this, and sounds to be you are too.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
LOL...better speakers would fix it. :p
Doesn't sound good though hey? I'm really stuck with this, and sounds to be you are too.

Can be sorta fun pullin your handbrake on a little going past cyclists.....BANG lol

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
probably find they are worn down to far or wrongly adjusted mine used to do the same thing till i put new shoes in and adjusted them properly its just the shoes jumping around on the pivot

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
my Vn does it if I apply the hand brake while i'm moving but thats it

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I think it's ok for now. I haven't had the bang for awhile, maybe they settled in fully after I adjusted it...If worse comes to worse I will put new shoes in there like delcowizzid suggested. Touch wood all is good!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Drum brake shoe linings can get glazed which may result in the shoe 'sticking' to the drum....this may be causing your 'bang'. The fix is to sand the shoe lining with coarse sandpaper to roughen the surface.....also use a file to file back the leading edge of each shoe as this also cuts down on noise. I had similar problems back in the 60's when I had a FJ with drum brakes the size of shoe polish tins all round - they would grab in wet weather and then fail to let go.