Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catie95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hey guys after a bit of advice I have a 2002 vx ss and I notice the handbrake not holding as well as it used to this started a month or so ago and now when I put it on sometimes it holds as it should and other times you can feel the car move slightly as if it hasn't done it's job properly, when I take the handbrake off it feels really loose and has a longer distance I need to pull it up before it engages and wants to hold, sometimes the car won't move it's like the handbrake is stuck on and other times I'll take the hand brake off and you can feel the clunk in the car where the handbrake let's go. I took off tonight and my car didn't want to move and it felt like the handbrake was holding the car back, when I took my foot off the accelerator the car would slow right down like I was braking then I went onto the highway and it was driving along fine then twice in a 5 minute trip at 80kms my whole car went funny and started shaking in the backend for probably 10 seconds each time then it would stop, I thought it was my gears slipping but I stopped when I got onto main road and tested them all and they went in fine and smoothly. Would a handbrake adjustment and new pads fix this or is it something more?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sounds very much like a job for your local mechanic.

Catie95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
That's not helpful but thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is a common problem with the VX and the handbrake. Try a Google search if you haven't because it has come up a bit. I think Holden brought out a fix for this, don't know if it comes under recall or not.