Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake lever rod

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
Hi all,

The rod that runs down the middle of the handbrake lever, that is used to release the handbreak has gone limp. Ie it does not work. The handbrake is currently in the off position and therefore I can't get it to stay on.

Any advise for fixing it?

Can it be done without removing the consol?

Ryan

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
the little rubber thumb knob sometimes gets stuck. might have to lube it. either that or the recoil spring has broken. pull off the hand grip and try and pry that thumb knob up see whats behind it..

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
The rubber button had popped off, which is what allowed the rod to drop down in the first place. It appears that the rod has disconnected from the ratcheting mechanism.

I'm just not sure how it reconnects (cant see it without removing the console).

Cheers
Ryan

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i fixed mine last year, the rod on mine was bent (not sure how it got that way) after i extracted it i had to clamp to down the in the bench vice and straighten it out with a hammer. had the same problem your having. being that it was last year i cant remember 100% how it went together but i think that rod is supposed to float in the housing and the spring and rubber thumb knob guide it to an extent. if its stuck grab the rod with a pair of pliers and try and pry it out, could be yours is bent too and not seating into the notch when you pull it up.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your help hy_ryder, I apologise for my ignorance.

I will give that a go. Is there meant to be a washer or something that stops the spring from dropping down?

Does anyone have a pic of the handbrake assembly without the console in the way?

Cheers
Ryan

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yea there might be, if no one else fills in the missing advice ill take mine apart tomorrow and take pics, let you know if anything is missing... i dont think youll need to take the console apart i didnt need to do it to mine...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok forgot to take pics.

anywho yes there is a washer that sits right on top of those little crimps in the handle itself. thats what the spring sits on. if the rod has slipped down into the handle what you need to do is lift on the little mechanism that is depressed buy the rod, using your fingers or some sort of hook. then lift the handle into the highest position almost pointing at the ceiling. that will take the pressure off the rod and allow you to pull it up into home position. at which time you can drop the washer back into position. if the washer is missing get one of those magnets on a stick and fish around down under and behind the hand brake assembly until you score a hit. when i took mine apart just now i lost my washer under there and fished it out using the same method. after thats all good just sit the spring on and press your little thumb button back on (while the handle is down in the off position), replace rubber hand grip and job done.

the rod slipping down into the handle is how the rod on my red car was bent. it got jammed halfway and someone forced it thinking it would come right and bent it. if this is the case youll have to take the center console out and mess around with the rod from the bottom of the hand brake to free it so you can bend it back to shape on a bench, or tap flat on the ground. i didnt have an interior in the car at the time i did that so it was easier.

hope this helps

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks hy_ryder. I think the rod must be bent, as I can't get it all the way. Right now the rod goes down past the little mechanism that it normally sits on.

Does the end of the rod have something on it, that would be preventing it from coming all the way out?

I think I will need a helper to push the mechanism, while I lift the handle and pull the rod out.

Last edited:

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do I need to lift the mechanism before lifting the handle and pulling the rod?

Or,

D I lift the handle up, lift the mechanism then pull the rod?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
have the handle fully up pointing at the ceiling, (you have to keep pressure on the handle in the up position too, dont let it sit on its own weight) get a tool or your hand down under the handbrake handle to lift up on that mechanism (do the same thing the rod does when you depress the thumb button) then get a hold of the rod somehow and jimmy it up into the home position...

ive got monkey hands and could manage myself but you might need 2 people...

its a bit like this

head-pat-tummy-rub-o.gif