Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake Turns

JME_VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais used for 'soup kitchen'
I've got a VY ute that I've started using in motorkhanas and sometimes you really have no option but to use the handbrake to get around the very tight turns. However, when I do a handbrake turn the wheels lock up well but I get a loud bang that reverberates through the car. Any idea what is causing the bang, is it causing any damage and is there anything I can do about it?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There's a couple things happening here.

1. The Commodore hand brake isn't very good (probably better in VT-VZ because of the extra leverage of the handle over pre-VT). I do believe it's drum brake.
2. The swing arms could be bottoming out when you jerk the hand brake on, similar to what happens when you do it in torsion beam cars.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
A loud BANG, just before......................KAHBOOOOOOOM.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
In the commodores its a parking brake, not a handbrake. Keep doing it and you'll destroy the mechanism on the hub.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In the commodores its a parking brake, not a handbrake. Keep doing it and you'll destroy the mechanism on the hub.

Part in parcel when racing, unfortunately things break. Good thing is Holden parts are cheap..... Sounds like the OP has no choice unless he changes his choice of vehicle..... Probably best if the OP lets it break once and then figures out what parts he needs to stock up on.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The handbrake is probably out of adjustment.

One day I was distracted and drove off with the handbrake on, got about 10 meters through the carpark and there was a loud bang. Stopped and tested various things but couldn't find anything wrong and everything worked as it should. Shortly there after I took the time to strip and clean the handbrake assembies, didn't find anything wrong/broken, just out of adjustment.

The VT onward handbrake is a lot more robust than the earlier models.

JME_VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, it's a drum brake in the middle of the rear disk, it has a single brake shoe instead of having two shoes.

The bang definitely doesn't

Yep, I understand that. The problem is that I need to use it one way or the other. If I was worried about mechanical failures I wouldn't be into motorsport. Can you tell me what specifically fails, and if there is anything I can do about it (replace with upgraded part, etc.)?

JME_VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
The handbrake is probably out of adjustment.

One day I was distracted and drove off with the handbrake on, got about 10 meters through the carpark and there was a loud bang. Stopped and tested various things but couldn't find anything wrong and everything worked as it should. Shortly there after I took the time to strip and clean the handbrake assembies, didn't find anything wrong/broken, just out of adjustment.

The VT onward handbrake is a lot more robust than the earlier models.

I have adjusted the lever as much as I can, I'm going to adjust the drums on the weekend and see if that improves it