Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a handy little spot to mount you gauges

vnpedro

will always be a F*^D man
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN EXEC 3.8
If you want somewhere easy, convenient, and good looking to place a couple of gauges you might wanna throw this idea around your shed a bit

Remove the storage compartment located underneath the head unit, to do this you will need to lift the cover surrounding the shifter enough to access the screws located just below the storage compartment,

Once you’ve got this off (you may need to remove the head unit to make things easier) locate the centre on the rear of the storage compartment and drill a 5mm hole (this is to run your wires from your gauges through) next, measure the front of the storage compartment and (allow an extra mm or so, that the plate fits tight, no screws required) and select the material you wish to make your plate from HINT: try using a solid piece of cardboard first to see how it sizes up be carefull if your using stainless steal, you don’t want scratches everywhere.

Once you have your plate cut out. Place it face up on the ground and place the gauge face down on the plate and remembering that there is a lip on the gauge use a pencil mark around the gauge/s once you’ve done this your ready to cut your hole, place gauge on plate, run wires to where they need to go, and do the above steps in reverse to put your ride back together and……….. enjoy…. How easy is that.

Handy hints

Be creative with the materials you choose i.e. matching colours, switches and buttons etc

Make sure everything fits tight to avoid the light of the gauge coming through any gaps (looks like crap at night)

Volt meter on left, oil press on right, also note the ilium switch between to gauges controls the light on the gauges because we all know how annoying they can be, and the two switchs next to the filthy disgusting ciggie lighter (now the immobiliser) is just a Thermo Fan Bypass Switch and self diagnostics switch. and obviously i need to replace the ashtray (not that i allow filthy smokers in my car) but there it is

Please feel free to reply or add to this, im always open for suggestions :thumbsup:

Attachments

• CENTRE CONSOL 001.jpg
    CENTRE CONSOL 001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,055
Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
buitiful write up i like the idea might look at doing someting similar to my car down the track

VS 666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim
theres a guy on ebay selling kits that fit gauges in that area... but my problem would be hooking up the gauges themselves