Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hankbrake

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Handbrake (VS)

Hey guys,
One of my mate told me that VS's have a drum style handbrake where the brakes shoes are located inside the rear rotors, I was was like WTF! Then what the rear brake calipers are for then?
Are they just a dud? I mean the car brakes with the front calipers right? or am I missing something here?

(just wanna know, I'm curious.)

Thank guys!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Basically, your mate is right. the commodores do have an expanding shoe type handbrake within the hub of the rear rotors. the rear calipers are there for operation along with the front brakes, but your handbrake operates by the shoes only. if you have a look on the diff side of your brakes (under the car) you will notice the handbrake cable and lever going through a slot in the dust cover.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
How much % (percentages) do the rear calipers work in line with the front ones? I don't believe its 50-50. Is it like 60% front and 40% rear?
I mean the back of the car would be sliding and out of control under heavy braking if the rear wheels are locked!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i am not sure on the ratio for brakeforce distribution. ABS will affect this as well.