Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is it hard to change VZ exec speakers

palah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi, searched and found various threads but none directly relating to VZ.

have a leased company car, do not want to spend too much so can leave in when lease is up. The only real thing do not want to live with for another 12 months is the flat sound of the standard speakers (2 front 2 rear in doors). So any help on

1. what is involved in taking the standard speakers out (i.e. any special tools)
2. Suggestions on replacements. Strathfield Car radios said JBL 6 inch ($80 pair) would suit

any help is apreciated

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
You need to remove the door trims - before doing that I'd suggest going to Holden and buying 4 of the little red clips which hold your lock knob - it's almost impossible to get them out without destroying them, or the lock knob itself. (I drill a small hole in the centre of the red bit, then drive a self tapper into the hole - give it a pull, and the clip pops out, no damage to the knob.) The clips are only about 50c each, so it's no huge spend. There's a couple of hidden screws - one behind the lock knob, and one behind the door handle - once you remove that you'll see an additional screw hidden in behind there. On the driver's side door you'll also need to pop out the mirror adjustment switch.

Depending on the size of the magnet structure on your JBL 6" units, you might have to cut away the back of the plastic speaker mounting pod - but if it is required, it won't be much. If the speakers are 6" then they should seat nicely around the frame - for 6.5" speakers you need to cut a little of the plastic away so the frame fits in.

It's not a huge job, but can take a while if you've not done it before. Just work carfully though, you'll be right. :thumbsup:

Cheerz!

StevieP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SS 6L
never had a problem removing the red clips, a small flat head screwdriver does the trick, theres 10 screws all up holding the door skin on as well as a few clips internally which snap undone... very easy job dont be scared.

palah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
thanks heaps for all your help ... much appreciated... better to be prepared as last time i did just pulled the door away from the bottom and undid the sir clip arround the winder... presto door trim off (also could work on the car :) so with the help given will try StevieP's flat head and if all else fails off to holden... any feedback on the speakers or are the JBL's good value (and sound)

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i'm thinking of doing the exact same thing, palah. are they 60W?

i was talking to someone who knows about this kind of thing (compared with me who knows pretty much zero) and he said you should find out the max output of the headunit because that will determine the effect of the speakers. as in its a waste if you get 200W speakers if the headunit has a max output of 100W..... if this is true what is the max output of the vz standard unit?

palah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i'm thinking of doing the exact same thing, palah. are they 60W?

Hi . know what you/friend means as throwing money away buying something that $25 speakers could achieve (the originals would not cost more than $25 for the 4 :)....also not sure about the JBL's.... will go into Strathfield monday to check as they recommended them over the phone. if anybody else knows what the head unit on executives put out that would be helpful

palah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
the JBL's are 120w but 2way on special at strathfield for $54 this week. does anyone know if three way units would give better sound (& fit without mods) as they have kenwood 3 way 260w for $64? which is over kill as far as watts go for standard head unit but know 3 way is not always better sounding than good 2 way units

StevieP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SS 6L
2 ways will sound better in my opinion, also guys dont get caught up in watts, all headunits that claim 4x 50W etc only put out about 17W per channel the true measurement you want to see is Watts in RMS.

hodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Im thinking of doing the same thing palah to my SV6

Ive done it before on my VN and VS but the VZ looks a little tricky, any1 know any places to see some photos of this for guidance?

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Phreddy pretty much summed it up in taking out the door trims, the speakers themselves only 3 screws hold them then 3 screws hold the plastic surround to the door, with the door handle I use a pin or thin nail to pop out the little nut cover, hence no damage to the cap or handle, I pissed off the plain black handles for the satin chrome ones in my SV6 very nice!

Also Greg, the wiring is not plug and play, would have been too easy! lol so have to modify the factory wiring plug to suit my new Clarion speakers :) then get you to do the stereo mod and bobs ya uncle decent sound!!