Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard to start when cold

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
I have a VS V8. It has done 180,000 klms. I recently believe I got a bad batch of fuel which caused huge running problems causing me to replace the plugs and clean out the throttle body. Since then, it has become hard to start when cold. Normally when hot, on the first turn of the key it fires almost instantly. But when it is cold it takes 2, sometimes 3 engine cranks of say 3 to 4 seconds each before it will fire. When it eventually fires it seems to run rich for a couple of seconds (clearing its throat) and then everything's normal - idle is OK and restart is OK.
Any ideas? :unsure:

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Update on Hard Start

If the car is left to stand when hot for say 1 hour, then it can be hard to start, but not as bad as when it is cold. :bang: If it is cold or hot and I have just started it and then turn it off. It will usually start without a problem if I try to restart immediately.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
damn, what a bloody annoying problem, hope it gets resolved soon! that would piss me right off man if i had that problem

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Any error codes?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When you say you has a bad batch if fuel just what do you mean? - if full of crap then the filter on the fuel pickup pipe could be blocked or the fuel filter itself may be blocked...if stale or having contaminents like extra ethanol, thibane or whatever then your injectors may be extremely dirty. The contaminents in the fuel may have stuffed the oxygen sensor as well. Good Luck.

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
hmmmm, good questions!!!!
First of all - there are no error codes - just 12.
The idea of bad fuel - The fuel level in the tank was down to the last 4 or 5 litres. Suddenly the car was missing, wouldn't idle - a regular basket case. I then filled up with "good quality" (Caltex) fuel plus an injector cleaner additive (also Caltex) - the differnece was amazing. The idle instantly improved and continued to restore (over about 100 klms). To check the filter and oxygen sensor, where abouts is the fuel filter and oxygen sensor?

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Fixed It

OK. The problem is fixed. New leads and new coil. Sweet as pie :D
End of story.

Homerjace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
funny u say that, i also recently bought a vs v8, also at 180,000 ks and it tking for ever to start when cold, i changed the plugs but not the leads, i guess i will have to get the coils tested.