Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard to start when hot

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hey all,

Sorry to post another starting thread, had a read of a couple of other similar threads, but thought I'd get some fresh input.

My VT 5L has some trouble starting when the motor is warm.
When it's cold (ie. been sitting for a couple hours or so and cooled down/overnight etc), it'll start nicely pretty much every time, like it should.
However, after a bit of driving, pulling up to a shop or something for 10 mins and then jumping back into the car to start and go, it'll do various things.

Here's how it started.

When I first got the car, when starting warm, the car would turn over 2-3 times, but VERY slowly, and then it would fire and be fine.
Then it started to change, these days, it hardly seems to turn over very slowly.
More so when it's warm it'll turn over quickly, kind of like that normal whirring noise, but it'll keep going and going and going.
So I'll stop, turn it off, and try again, this time feathering the throttle, this gets it to EVENTUALLY kick over.

Can anyone suggest something to stop this if they've experienced something similar?

Thankyou!

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
i use to get that in a VP 5.0L i had a few months ago. althoughh mine started without feathering the throttle. so i cleaned the battery terminals and replaced it with a new battery as the one in it was very old. that seemed to help a little bit. dunno if that helps at all but its a 5 minute job to clean the terminals, c if it helps.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i started the exact same thread a few days ago

it's the starter motor

you need a new one

mine's been playing well for now and i suspect that if it gets thru Jan Feb heat well i can leave it over winter where it won't matter... so that's a good 9 months of not doing anything!

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Thanks tony, sorry I didn't see your post, sounds pretty much spot on with my issue.
Will look into it... hope that's all it is!! could've sworn the guy I got the car from said the started had been replaced, might've just been the alternator though...

Would the factory holden starter motor be okay to use?
or is it better to get aftermarket ?

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i think it's about $300 from anyone really

it's not hard to fix as they drop in a new or a reco

just can't be stuffed spending money and ****

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
yeah I think Im going to leave it for now, planning on getting the interior lights done in the next week, so the starter can wait a while. I can walk to work from my place if necessary, but it still starts at the moment, just sometimes it struggles.
I'll wait a lil, but I'll plan to change soon.

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
Hi - my VT Senator is the same, slow to turn over when hot.
I've been told by 2 or 3 people to look at the earthing on the electrical system, especially the starter motor wiring/connections.
Had a problem about 2 years ago - no start at all, it was a rotten earth cable from body to motor or something like that.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Update!

Just fitted the new starter motor today, pretty fun job and felt great after it was all back together and done and started.

However,
I got caught out this afternoon after the car had been driving around a bit. Went to fill up and then tried to start the car and it was farked again.
Had to get jump started for the 3rd time this week.
So infuriating!

I thought it was maybe an issue with the alternator not charging the battery or something, but I really have no idea.
You mention a rotten earth cable ispeed, where abouts is it?

Think I'm gonna have to take it into an auto sparky and just get a professional to fix it because I don't want to get stuck time and time again whilst I fix up this and that.
So disappointing.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Earth cable is opposite the positive cable. :p

clamps in good nick?

Battery might have no balls left.

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
Dunno - They came to the car, I was at work. aparently it looked ok on the outside, but when they load tested the system they found an earth with really high resistance - corrosion inside insulation. replaced it. been sweet since. down in the bowels of the engine bay somewhere.
An auto sparky is the answer.