Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hard to start when its warmed up

MontieVHSL/E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 304 (injected)
i have had this problem since i bought the car 7 months ago, it starts first thing when its cold, it will still start up after being off for about half an hour but after an hour or so it takes a bit of cranking to start and then kinda splutters into life.
any ideas?

thanks

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
MontieVHSL/E said:
i have had this problem since i bought the car 7 months ago, it starts first thing when its cold, it will still start up after being off for about half an hour but after an hour or so it takes a bit of cranking to start and then kinda splutters into life.
any ideas?

thanks

Perhaps check the oxygen sensor(s). Are you getting any black smoke on startup when warm? Could be an indication of the engine running way too rich. Also check out the coolant temp sensor, it could be giving the wrong info to the ECU, also creating a rich mix.

R

Reggie

yeah it sounds like a fuel prob. too rich to me also. ummm maybe leaking injectors,just a thought.when it starts does it blow black smoke?

R

Reggie

try this, just to rule out leaking injectors. before you turn the car off take out the fuel pump relay. let the fuel system run dry and stall the engine. leave it for an hour, put the relay back in flick ignition on for five seconds do this a couple of times to get pressure back, then start it.

MontieVHSL/E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 304 (injected)
it doesnt blow smoke, i have looked for that. how would i check the coolant temp sensor?

89 calais

Munch,Munch V8'sfor lunch
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Just a little trick you can try,take the car for a good drive and get it hot then make sure your back home when you turn it off.Try starting and if still the same problem pour water over your crank angle sensor.They have been known to cause this type of problem when they are old and overheat,then try starting the car again.If this is the problem the car will start easier,and if so replace your crank angle sensor,hope this helps!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Leaky injector/s maybe

T

tlndofa

IT IS YOUR CRANK SHARFT SENSOR,this does not start the car when warm if damaged but easy cold,tip water on it to start car first kick,2lt...is behind the harmonic balancer,bottom wheel of belt. (wire to it).ser 2 has plastic coating on it which tends to give protection but shorter life,also check trany oil ,may be low,an caused the problem...30$ for second hand sensor max..50$ labour max ...well after reading posts 89 calias is so correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
As a couple of people have mentioned, if it starts when cold but is an absolute bastard when it's warm, the crank angle sensor is a common culprit and would be the first thing I'd check. As they have also stated, it's easy enough to diagnose that particular fault as well, just pour some water over it when it's decided not to start and if it starts afterwards then hey presto! If not then you've just narrowed down the possibilities with no expenditure.