Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard wire a gps to a ve?

donkson

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve Berlina
Hey guys my cigarette lighter does not work and ive cheaked fuses/relays and put the test light on it but still nothing, i want to buy a gps, so i was thinking hard wiring it straight to the battery (+ - fuse in the line somewhere and a switch to turn the power off, good idea or not? also would it still any of the electrics as im hookinh straight to the battery?
Thanks

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
Wrong section, see 'Sponsors' at the top of this page? Suggest you post this (or have it moved to) the VE section, or even Car Audio possibly.

Andeh

Herp Derp
Reaction score
Website
www.horderejects.com
Members Ride
VX Berlina 3.8L Ecotec
I can offer my personal experience with hooking new appliances up to your car. But please post in the correct forum next time :) Keeps the place looking more tidy and organised imo. PM Sent regardless.

zaxxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I can offer my personal experience with hooking new appliances up to your car. But please post in the correct forum next time :) Keeps the place looking more tidy and organised imo. PM Sent regardless.

I think the whole point of helping someone on a forum is that you post the answer ON the forum so you don't have to PM everyone else!-)

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
yeah and here is the problem with me now looking for info on this

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Wow, this has to win a prize as a bocked-up thread.

Firstly, yes - "hardwiring" your GPS through a switch to the ACC is a great idea. Leaves the socket free. But as your socket "doesn't work" and you've checked fuses (good idea) and relays (not a good idea) then your next step is to check the WIRING and the SOCKET.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Also, I think that most GPS run on 5 volts so don't cut the plug off to hardwire it. The plug actually reduces 12 volts to 5 volts.