Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard wired Thermo ecu by pass

Hilux 3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux ln172
I seem to remember my ex father inlaw setting up his thermos to run directly off a temp switch. So if the car was at say 80 degees the thermos kick in until the engine cools to say 70 degees regardless of weather the inginion was on. Kind of like a turbo timer.

I like the idea because Im doing a ecotec to hilux conversion and it seems like a good way to go. If I could hard wire the thermos to the battery via a temp switch and have a override switch in the cab for creek crossings it would be ideal!!! id like to keep it really simple so If anyone can explain it like ure talking to a 3 year old id be very greatfull ha ha

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Thats how I've setup the fan for the B&M trans cooler.

Last edited:

Hilux 3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux ln172
Thanks heaps for the links guys. Much appreciated!!!

Think I'll just run a mechanical thermal switch.

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
I seem to remember my ex father inlaw setting up his thermos to run directly off a temp switch. So if the car was at say 80 degees the thermos kick in until the engine cools to say 70 degees regardless of weather the inginion was on. Kind of like a turbo timer.

I like the idea because Im doing a ecotec to hilux conversion and it seems like a good way to go. If I could hard wire the thermos to the battery via a temp switch and have a override switch in the cab for creek crossings it would be ideal!!! id like to keep it really simple so If anyone can explain it like ure talking to a 3 year old id be very greatfull ha ha
I have got thermal switches from Jaycar - they had 70 and 100 degrees. Only rated at 10 A, so only good for a "low speed" fan.
Not exactly what you were trying to do. I found that fitting the 70 degree switch close to the radiator would turn on a fan when you stopped at traffic lights, but once car got up to speed, fan would go off again. If it was connected direct to battery (with a fuse of course) then the fan would run for a short while after stopping engine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All of this seems rather difficult.

The engine already as a temp sensor and PCM that is more than capable of controlling the engine temps, you just need to have the tune altered.

Considering how much you are spending on buying relays/switched and wiring/fittings to make this all work, you could spend the money on getting the required bits to alter the factory memcal and then there are no limits to what you could change tuneup wise.

krisso93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wk statesman s2

You can splice and run a wire from the positive wire of thermos before plug over to high speed fan relay.
Thats what i did with my old vs when my temp sensor buggered up..

Will just make it so fan will run high speed constantly as soon as ignition is turned on/car running..

Not sure if that helps but it saved my butt and is handy to know.

Cant imagine it would be real difficult to throw a switch in amungst it all