Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

harmoic balancer bolt VERY stubbin VR s2

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series2 executive wagon
VR s2 6cyl auto with a VERY stubbin harmonic balancer bolt that does NOT want to loosen. I've tried all my little tricks including a 2HP compressor (8 or .8 mps ??) with a rattle gun,,, socket with breaker breaker bar & starter motor methods wouldn't loosen the main nut. So today i laid into the centre of the HB with a cold chisel and a WHOOPING big hammer (& breaker bar). Still with no luck :bang: just made three nastie cuts through the metal on the inside of the HB.

Had to take her out this arvo & where i had sprayed the RP7 ,in the centre a purple ish gunk spun out & it's looking like locktite.

I hate to be beaten by a bolt & it's not in the budget at this point in time to take her to the shop. If anyone knows of a way to loosen a VERY stubbin HB bolt i'd realy like to learn it :thumbsup:. Gave the bolt a bit of a wack, no help. Three times i even pulled the breaker back 50cms & hit the ignition,, just made the engine rock and stop. probably not a good idea to keep trying THAT :whistling

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
the last method is how i popped my caprices one... u need someone brave to hold the breaker bar though haha... it does work anyway! did for me

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh wait no not how you done it... i put a brick down there for the breaker bar to rest on make sure you have a good socket and get someone to hold it against the brick... then flick the starter

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
After the third time walesy, my breaker was lookig the worst for wear and i started loosing my nerve as i was doing running repairs to the BB and wondering "how are the engine mounts are holding up" ?

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
oh wait no not how you done it... i put a brick down there for the breaker bar to rest on make sure you have a good socket and get someone to hold it against the brick... then flick the starter

Can't find the 24mm but the imperial still been taking the flogging. On the 2nd & 3rd swinging try, i had the handle hanging down so i didn't need anyone to hold the BB straight and it came up under on the other side!

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah well when u do get the bolt off the fun starts again lol... mine hadnt been off since factory and i only just got it off yesterday after a few weeks of trying

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
You have already tried the method I've been shown.

Dam thing must be on as tight as Costello's fiscal policy

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
A few weeks walesy, geeze! Not looking foward to that ! A previous balancer on my good ol VN :undead: was driven until it sounded like it was about to fall off. Worked to my advantage though, it was the only time that some SUCKER tried to flog the car at about 2am AND,,,, the transmission would take 15mins to go into drive (done over 600 thou) they pushed it out onto the street but must have crapped themselves when they started it up in the wee hours. And it was going CRACK-CRACK-CRACK-CRACK-CRACK and wouldn't move ! HAHA, would love to have seen them trying that , and then panick & bolt off down the street empty handed. Nothing broken or scratched and it only took me a 5 min warm up to go into reverse. Then back to bed i knew they wouldn't be back, SUCKERS !!

88GreenVN "You have already tried the method I've been shown.

Dam thing must be on as tight as Costello's fiscal policy"

Costello has nothing on this bolt 88GreenVN . And your avatar,, that's a darn shame seeing a good car looking like that :cry:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
88GreenVN "You have already tried the method I've been shown.

Dam thing must be on as tight as Costello's fiscal policy"

Costello has nothing on this bolt 88GreenVN . And your avatar,, that's a darn shame seeing a good car looking like that :cry:

Yes I should change that - life has improved a bit latley. Was put up when life was a little wrecked for me:p That car summed up how I was feeling at the time.

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I should change that - life has improved a bit latley. Was put up when life was a little wrecked for me:p That car summed up how I was feeling at the time.

Lots of character and quality on the inside just a bit bumped around and run down on the outside ? Good to hear things r picking up. Like they say don't sweat the small stuff and it's ALL SMALL STUFF .

Then why is such a drama when that first bolt won't go in ? Chatch ya !!