Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer bolt

Joelfrench93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hey guys,
I have three questions regarding the harmonic balancer bolt

I’m trying to put a new one back in, the engine is in the car and it’s an auto

First of all, does anyone know what tension I should be torquing the bolt up to? I read 400nm somewhere online but seems a bit excessive

second of all, I’m actually having a lot of trouble just getting the bolt started, any tips on getting a start haha

lastly, being an auto, when torquing it up, will having the car in park be sufficient? Or should I be stopping engine rotation first?

thanks in advance

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
May need a longer bolt to start pulling in the balancer, using a decent rattle gun will get it tight enough and it won't turn the engine. To lock the crank will be a pain.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I just rattle them up if in doubt red locktight.
Flywheel bolts are different though you should torque them to the correct setting.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also if you can borrow a balancer removal and instalation kit it will be better. It can bite you sometimes trying to pull the balancer on with the bolt.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Rattle gun may not be sufficient if the bolt has been in there for a really long time, really strong breaker bar with a pole has saved me a couple of times. Sounds odd but I reason that the breaker has far more leverage than the rattle gun.

Joelfrench93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Thanks for the replies guys
Some good info

I looked in the Haynes manual and it recommends 140-150 Nm

As for using a larger bolt or removal kit to guide the harmonic balancer; bear in mind I haven't actually taken the harmonic balancer out!! Only the bolt, So I figured it should all still be in the same position?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you have only removed the bolt and you can't get it started, have a look at the thread on the end of the bolt, that it isn't worn, or slightly folded back on the other threads. Also check the thread inside the crank, once the harmonic balancer is removed

There is only one position the harmonic balancer can go on...They have a keyway on the crank and the keyway slot in the balancer.

To start putting the balancer back on, I use a lump of timber, a little oil and a hammer....The oil on the crank snout and inside the harmonic balancer, and the timber to rest on the balancer whist hammering it on a little ways....Well, you should be able to hammer it on all the way, but as long as you can get a couple of threads of the bolt started in the crank snout, that should be suitable

As for torquing.....Very very rarely is that done...However if you wish to do that,, having the gearbox in park and the handbrake on, it should be fine....

As for putting loctite on...Not really recommended....It can cause issues down the track, when you go to remove the bolt again....Like all the loctite residue all over the thread inside the crank and not being able to clean it properly, therefore creating a problem to get the bolt started again.... Secondly, making it bloody difficult to remove it down the track...Me personally, if you have to use loctite on that bolt, you aren't really competant with the tools......Tightening it up with a rattle gun/breaker bar or torque wrench is sufficient

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you have only removed the bolt and you can't get it started, have a look at the thread on the end of the bolt, that it isn't worn, or slightly folded back on the other threads. Also check the thread inside the crank, once the harmonic balancer is removed

There is only one position the harmonic balancer can go on...They have a keyway on the crank and the keyway slot in the balancer.

To start putting the balancer back on, I use a lump of timber, a little oil and a hammer....The oil on the crank snout and inside the harmonic balancer, and the timber to rest on the balancer whist hammering it on a little ways....Well, you should be able to hammer it on all the way, but as long as you can get a couple of threads of the bolt started in the crank snout, that should be suitable

As for torquing.....Very very rarely is that done...However if you wish to do that,, having the gearbox in park and the handbrake on, it should be fine....

As for putting loctite on...Not really recommended....It can cause issues down the track, when you go to remove the bolt again....Like all the loctite residue all over the thread inside the crank and not being able to clean it properly, therefore creating a problem to get the bolt started again.... Secondly, making it bloody difficult to remove it down the track...Me personally, if you have to use loctite on that bolt, you aren't really competant with the tools......Tightening it up with a rattle gun/breaker bar or torque wrench is sufficient

What is having the car in park going to do?

Locktight is fine if you only use a couple of drops. I guess the millions of trained technicans around the world that have a bottle at the shop are inferior to you then.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What is having the car in park going to do?

Locktight is fine if you only use a couple of drops. I guess the millions of trained technicans around the world that have a bottle at the shop are inferior to you then.

I don't know....Perhaps you best put a youtube video up of it..

As for trained technicians having that bottle around...There are also millions that don't have it either....So which ones do I take notice of?

I seen numerous high revving high torque motors that have never used loctite on a harmonic balancer bolt.....

I can't say I have ever seen a factory fitted harmonic balancer with loctite on the bolt....So why else would you put locitite on a bolt other than being incompetant with the tools?

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't know....Perhaps you best put a youtube video up of it..

As for trained technicians having that bottle around...There are also millions that don't have it either....So which ones do I take notice of?

Nah mate locktight is as universal as cokecola.

As for automatics park will not hold the engine as the torque converter is not locked.
If you have done more than fit tyres to a car you would know that simple piece of information about automatic cars not having the ability to stop the engine from rotating.