Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer bolt

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Both the RB30 and the 308 and the 304 have a torque spec of about 10 to 20 ugga duggers so it's irrelevant.
:)
Um, I usually work to tighter accuracies than that.
Not doubting it has worked for you, but I prefer the torque wrench and all my strength /body weight to make it click.

I have undone a compensator bolt on my Harley just with hard launches and clutch less shifts at the drags (made an odd noise the next day, that is for sure).
Cleaned bolt, lots of red loctite and 180ft/lbs from memory. Had to take it off a year later (new compensator with less primary drive teeth) and had no issues removing.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Um, I usually work to tighter accuracies than that.
Not doubting it has worked for you, but I prefer the torque wrench and all my strength /body weight to make it click.

I have undone a compensator bolt on my Harley just with hard launches and clutch less shifts at the drags (made an odd noise the next day, that is for sure).
Cleaned bolt, lots of red loctite and 180ft/lbs from memory. Had to take it off a year later (new compensator with less primary drive teeth) and had no issues removing.

It depends on how it mounts. If it's a interference fit with a key it won't loosesn

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why would someone use the ugga duggers method on a harmonic balancer bolt, when they insist a torque wrench for manifold bolts?

To me, manifold bolts not being done up properly will cause running issues, yet not doing a harmonic balancer bolt up properly can cause it to go for a fly, taking out a few important under bonnet items.....

Joelfrench93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Appreciate all the input guys
Had a look through the Haynes manual and it’s suggesting 140Nm and also recommends taking out the starter motor in order to be able to use a screw driver to stop the engine from turning