Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer- does this look normal to you.?

Dirtyv6

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 3.8 V6
VY V6 ecotec 2002.

Hi guys,
short version- weird noise sounded like pump hitting block. replaced water pump, not that, harmonic balancer looks weird, could this cause a noise?

Long Version:
Was on the way to work the other morning, turned the key, started and there was a snap and all of a sudden theres a rattling/knocking noise all through the rev range. First thought was the belt, but that was intact. Sounded like a water pump hitting was hitting the block so I ripped that off and replaced it.

Turns out, wasnt the water pump and I jumped the gun. Should have checked for the noise with no belt on.
So I have a new water pump but still a noise.
I noticed when I had the pump off my balancer looked a bit far out do my question is
1. Is it normal for it to look like this.?
2. Could this cause my noise?

Will try and get a video of the noise later tonight

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 418

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Looks a bit wierd heres mine

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_211734.jpg
    IMG_20191209_211734.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 255

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Proberly tearing away from rubber on inside

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Looks normal, if it broke then your cas wouldn't be set right so the timing be out, more like a stud bolt holding the A/C compressor on or even the A/C clutch if it was on while starting, Does it run rough?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Replace the harmonic Balancer, as the Rubber has perished,
Before you do replace it,
Remove the bolt and give it a good dose of WD40,
then the following morning get the Puller on to it, and it should slide off without to much effort.
But make sure you have one on hand to slide straight on,
When you do, place a thin film of grease on the crank shaft, and a bit on the inside of the Harmonic Balancer, it will make it slide on a bit easier.

Last edited:

Dirtyv6

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 3.8 V6
Looks normal, if it broke then your cas wouldn't be set right so the timing be out, more like a stud bolt holding the A/C compressor on or even the A/C clutch if it was on while starting, Does it run rough?

Wasn't running rough at all, AC has been removed. I'll check the studs around there though

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What about your belt tensioner? When you say snap was it mettle or plastic sound, where is the noise?

Dirtyv6

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 3.8 V6
What about your belt tensioner? When you say snap was it mettle or plastic sound, where is the noise?
was in the cab when heard snap, it sounded just like a belt snapping. Checked belt, checked tensioner, all okay.
Noise sounds like its coming from front, around the water pump/balancer area, I've yet to check around with a long screw driver to pin point exact location.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
VY V6 ecotec 2002.

Hi guys,
short version- weird noise sounded like pump hitting block. replaced water pump, not that, harmonic balancer looks weird, could this cause a noise?

Long Version:
Was on the way to work the other morning, turned the key, started and there was a snap and all of a sudden theres a rattling/knocking noise all through the rev range. First thought was the belt, but that was intact. Sounded like a water pump hitting was hitting the block so I ripped that off and replaced it.

Turns out, wasnt the water pump and I jumped the gun. Should have checked for the noise with no belt on.
So I have a new water pump but still a noise.
I noticed when I had the pump off my balancer looked a bit far out do my question is
1. Is it normal for it to look like this.?
2. Could this cause my noise?

Is cactus
Will try and get a video of the noise later tonight

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it's rattling like a bastard it will be the balancer.