Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer kit, centrepiece stuck

WattaV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vx Commodore 2000
Hey guys just me again,

After trying to remove my harmonic balancer with a supercrap kit this afternoon I have discovered that I have got the centrepiece that comes with the kit stuck in the crank snout, and therefore unable to continue.

I saw in an older thread that this has happened to someone else before but how they managed to get it out was not explained. Has anyone else had any luck finding a way to remove this piece after making the same fateful mistake?

Hindsight and finding the correct forums/way to do something after you stuff something is always a c$nt lol

Cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Maybe drill a hole in the centre of it,
then run a tap in to it,
Run a bolt in to it,
and carefully tap it outwards,
or use a slide hammer.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Trying to figure it out from the words, But some 3 or 2 jaw pullers wouldnt assist in any way?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Do you mean that the long center bolt from your puller kit has pushed its way into the engine crank snout because you had no bolt in the crank for it to push against?

A picture would help understand what is going on…

Basically if the HB is really tight and the diameter of the puller kit centre bolt is just a smidgen thicker than the crank bolt ID, it can be pulled into the crank snout bolt hole unless there is already a bolt loosely installed for it to press on (or you use one of those tapered end pieces on the puller kit centre bolt)

As the puller bolt is pushed further and further into the crank snout it get held tighter and tighter. I guess it then damages the crank bolt threads as it makes its way in. And it’s going to be a PITA to try and unwind it to get it out without damaging the crank bolt threads even more…

If that’s what has occurred, it could be an expensive repair as the crank snout bolt has big torque numbers on it and the crank threads need to be repaired, if they can be repaired.

If I’ve misunderstood what has occurred then ignore my comment.

Regardless I hope the brains trust can help out here.

Last edited: