Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer question

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I've got a horrible rattling noise coming from the area around the auxilliary drive belt on my S1 VN V6. It started off just happening for a split second every so often, but got rapidly worse and is now almost constant.

It sounds almost as if one of the pulleys at the front of the engine is loose and about to fall off so i'm going to check them all today.

Before taking the auxilliary belt off, do I need to mark the position of the harmonic balancer or is there a key so it will only go back on in one position? And am I right in thinking that removing it is just a case of undoing the large nut and sliding the balancer off?

Any help is much appreciated!

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
u will need a puller to get it off it wont slide off.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
OK, thanks. I'll have to pick one up today.

Also, is the rubber on the Harmonic balancer meant to be pretty soft? The balancer itself isn't loose, but it does move about a lot on the rubber.

Last edited:

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Do a search in these forums as there are a few harmonic balancer threads. In any case I think the early VN V6 are a slide fit and later ones are a press fit which will need a puller. There is a key. The runner is compliant but the balancer shouldn't move too much.