Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

harmonic balancer vn to a vr

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series2 executive wagon
harmonic balancer vn to a vr. My newer car, the vr s2, has just started with that nastey tacking sound , that sound that i had heard & put up with so many times in my ol champion VN, for way to long at times. I started with it the tentioner pulley , changed that , no difference & things are only getting noisier?!! It must be the harmoic balancer... The ? is, does the ol vn :undead: balancer suit the vr s2 ? I've changed 4 balancers in her 600+ life. It's just the last one has only done about 10 thou. With the rego due & my old girl at my heels about cleaning out the front yard and getting rid of "mee old VN", it's no good waisting good parts, if I"m just going to buy them back at 2000% markup ! So I"m realy hoping that the VN harmonic balancer is a perfect match for the vr s2 ?????? I've got the gear to sort it out :thumbsup: i just don't want to go through it all if I"m going to end up breaking something :cry:, thanks for any input folks !!!!!

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
take off the belt and give her a whirl

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
take off the belt and give her a whirl

OK Zuicider , i'll pull off the balancers & give them a whirl :w00t: It does look the same, just didn't want to wreck anything behind it. Already did that once when i didn't have the correct puller !! Loadza fun

Last edited:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Will look the same on the outside, but the fins on the back that pass through the CAS might be different. The VN might have the small white CAS and the VR's will probably be the big black CAS (from VP onwards, my S2 VN still had the small white one, unless theyre interchangeable?).

Anyway, balancers are now only $80 from supercheap. Picked one up not that long ago to try fix a rattle. Turns out it wasnt the balancer but had the same symptoms (noise dissapears with throttle). Turns out it was on the other side of the crank...

IMG_1396Small.jpg

Cant complain, made me start the manual conversion earlier :p

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's some photo azzfox ! You've got me going now, i was so sure it was harmoic balancer , that when the 2HP rattle gun,,, socket with breaker breaker bar & starter motor methods wouldn't loosen the main nut, i laid into the centre of the HB with a cold chisel and a WHOOPING big hammer (& breaker bar) today. Still with no luck :bang: just made three nastie tears through the metal on the inside of the HB

Had to take her out this arvo & where i had sprayed the RP7, a purple ish gunk had spun out & it's looking like locktite.

I hate to be beaten by a bolt & it's not in the budget at this point in time to take her to the shop. If anyone knows of a way to loosen a VERY stubbin HB bolt i'd realy like to learn it. Gave the bolt abit of a wack, no help.

Might post most of this as a new post.:thumbsup:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
What I did and worked a treat - take the serpentine belt and wrap it around the balancer, then loop the end around the A/C pulley and rotate the balancer to take up the slack. Then grab a breaker bar + socket + 1m metal pole and show that bolt whos boss! Mine came off relatively easy but it wasnt loctited. So in your case, heat up the bolt with a torch first which will soften the loctite.

Good luck!

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks azzfox , it seems like heat IS the way to go ! (It's not like i'll be using the balancer again, and there is the three gouges ). Any normal or stiff balancer usually comes loose after the second or third hit with the starter motor method .

Using that belt trick will come in handy if i need a pulley again. I get most of my parts from "self serve wreckers" out darra way ( west Brisbane ) they are as cheap as day old chips ! And they are open till 4pm on a Sunday.

Only problem is that you end up having to taking your part off twice. But,,, if you make a mess the first time, its on the dunger.Nexxxxt . All covered in the $2 admission fee.:thumbsup:

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well thanks guys & it was the Harmonic Balancer ! Some BARRRRR sted used a whole lot of lock tite on the bolt !!! :bang: About a week of bashing & trying with the breaker bar & starter motor, and alot of sweat'n & swearing !! A guy with a rattle gun on the end of a realy big tank spent 15 mins at it and then hit it with a Sidchrome breaker bar & the starter motor about anouther 12 times and as we were giving up. BUSHKARRR,, the balancer bolt gave in , almost like it felt sorry for us & gave us a break, yee haaaa ! :dance:

If anyone ever reads this, my 6cyl VR S2 harmonic balancer was completely different to the VP and different enough to the VS that it made the car shake , timing was out.

AND IF NO ONE EVER READS THIS THEN BAR-HUMBUG !!!! & i hope you have as much trouble as i did . LOL :D