Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

harmonic balencer bolt

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
3/4 is close to 19MM....As you mentioned 19MM is a bit sloppy, which then puts it as an 18MM....

Personally, the last one I did was in a VY and I disconnected the fuel pump relay....Had a breaker bar resting just above the chassis rail, with some foam inbetween the chassis rail and breaker bar and quick turn overs of the starter via the igintion....I think it took 2 or 3 hits of the key to loosen the bolt....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The crank bolt seems like a critical part, as I understand, so why wouldn’t you just get a new bolt from Holden spares? Having one in your hand makes getting a matching socket so much easier ;)

And as a critical engine part, getting the tightening torque correct requires the crank to be locked in place which, as you plan, is best done via an appropriate tool. Such crank locking tools can lock the flywheel or lock balancer inner hub (as used by some manufacturers/designs) :p The later designs can be easier to use as they don’t require starter motor removal ;)

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
18 mm to small, got a 19mm 8 sided socket, , which fits a little better, bolt must be 18.5 mm where whoud I get one of them mec at work says thay don't excist I nthink I have some witworth sockets I thin might have a look at them

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
18 mm to small, got a 19mm 8 sided socket, , which fits a little better, bolt must be 18.5 mm where whoud I get one of them mec at work says thay don't excist I nthink I have some witworth sockets I thin might have a look at them

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would try that 6 sided socket as long as it isn't a 50cent job like a spark plug socket.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
some body must know the right size

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
where would I get one of those trev

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had a look at mine today. It's a VE but the same bolt no doubt. The 19mm 6 point socket is perfect. It rattles a little bit but that's just how it is. The head of the bolt is not precision machined, it looks like it's been forged so it's a little bit sloppy. The best thing about those 6 point sockets is they grip on the flat sides of the bolt not the corners like a 12 point. So being a tiny bit loose won't be a problem, it won't round off the corners of the bolt. That's why Black impact sockets are almost always 6 point.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
where would I get one of those trev
You don't want to know!
Those one size fits all type tools turn out to be useless most of the time. Save that for last resort emergency use only, and brace yourself for when it slips and you go flying across the driveway or crack your knuckles on the radiator ;)