Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harrop Brake Install

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
G'Day All

I Just had the Harrop 'Monster' Kit installed on my SSV. This was done by Brad @ Enhanced Automotive and took 1 Day.

The Kit Included;
- 4x 4 Piston Calipers
- 4x 14" (356mm) Slotted rotors
- Nuts, bolts washers etc for installation
- 8x Pads
- Braided hoses were seperate, but I purcheased them too.
- Fluid also needed to be purchased seperately.

Pictures below, before and after install. I havent yet had the chance to see what they can fully do, but even before they have been fully bedded in there is a noticeable improvement.

Cost for kit, fluid, braided lines, labour etc etc was pushing $6k. You could save some $$$ by DIY, but that was a bit beyond me and I'd rather pay to get it done right first time. So while not cheap, its worthwhile. And looks cool.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,351
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,541

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If your not sure about DIY brake install then its definitely better to pay to get it done. Don't want that failing at some inappropriate time :p

Now you will need some really good wide tyres to take full advantage of it.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Nice choice, they are on my wish list.
Obviously those calipers are smaller than hsv if ssv 19's fit on.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Cheers lads for the replies.

Definately worth paying someone to avoid the heartache of installation. Was thinking about wider wheels, but couldnt justify it because
A) I dont have that much cash
B) I like the stock wheels
C) I have HSV tyres on it anyway

As for caliper size compared to HSV, not sure. A guy at work has an E3 Clubsport. I'll do a sneaky compare on Monday when I go back. The wheel hides a lot of the caplier and there isnt much room left in there lol. Honestly I'd reckon its about the same size as their 4-piston setup, although the HSV do have a slightly larger rotor on the front. (365mm I think).

The kit cost a lot. I purchased it From VCM suite, funnily enough it was a tad cheaper than direct from Harrop, which covered shipping.
Harrop VE monster kit $4950
Goodridge Braided lines $440
Shipping $72.73
Misc Chrages etc

Total, to Pick up (or delivered to your door) $5,552.10

+ Fluid $75ish

Not cheap, but when you spend money making your car go faster, its prudent to spend money so it can slow it down better. And did I mention it looks cool?

Harrop:
HARROP | BRAKES

VCM
Brakes - VCM Performance

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Fair enough about putting larger wheels on. The only reason I said that was because the stock brakes were already capable of creating more friction than hat the tyres have to the ground. So to really get more stopping power you need to increase your grip on the road.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Very Nice setup!

The only issue with big brakes is when it comes time to change pads and rotors. :(

Have you actually really pushed the car yet to see how much better they are over stock? Any feedback in terms of performance?

I like your statement re: making the car go faster/stop better - I made a similar purchase myself recently, and while it's a big expense, I figured that if they help me avoid even just one accident in the future - they pay themselves off :)

Fair enough about putting larger wheels on. The only reason I said that was because the stock brakes were already capable of creating more friction than hat the tyres have to the ground. So to really get more stopping power you need to increase your grip on the road.

That's true - a set of cracker tyres would likely reduce your stopping distance moreso than a set of huge stoppers....

- however the upgrade will really shine when the need (or want) to repetatively break heavily from high speeds arises. In this situation, standard brakes can become hot and useless really quickly! Which can be an issue regardless of how good your tyres are!

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks all for your feedback.

Yea I would agree larger wheels would do nothing but help. But at $3k or more for good wheels and good tyres, it may be one of the future things to do. I did whack on 4 surplus HSV tyres late last year (and despite being on sale they were still $400 a pop), and they have being doing a serling job so far.

Yer I'm not looking forward to changing the pads and rotors either, apparently they were a horses a**e to fit, as there is seriously about 2mm between the caliper and rotor. Which is why it took brad all day to fit. Living in Adelaide, I was hoping to take the car for a blast through the hills this arvo, but its pissing down with rain, so another day. Already I notice Im pulling up much quicker around town with the same brake pedal effort, but I'll report back when I can really push them.

I like your statement re: making the car go faster/stop better - I made a similar purchase myself recently, and while it's a big expense, I figured that if they help me avoid even just one accident in the future - they pay themselves off

Exactly. Could not agree more. So many cars with heaps of power, with standard brakes. On my old VX SS I used to get brake fade driving around town! So I had a set of slotted rotors and good pads installed, and the difference was remarkable. And no joke about 3 days later they helped me avoid a crash which would have cost much more than the brakes. Ever since, I insist on upgraded brakes.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Also agree with the more power same brakes thing. I was at Bob Jane one day and one customer was showing the staff under the bonnet of his admittadly really nice skyline, R32 or R33 can't remember. Car was really nice, he said it was a fully rebuilt engine with some nice string pieces and running about 15 or 20 pounds of boost, can't remember properly. One thing I looked at and commented on was his really shitty stock brakes, I mean they are smaller than my Commies FFS, not really that desirable.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Its something thats often overlooked. I reckon they are worth every cent. I can see why people skip them though - my set was $5.5k. For that i could have put a new clutch, rip shifter and diff. Or a cam and have some change left over.