Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harsh VE Calais V8 Wagon suspension problem.

Tristan Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon V8
Hi guys. Just wondering if anybody has a solution to my problem. I wasn't happy with the ride quality of the standard suspension in my VE Calais V8 wagon MY09 (factory wheels), so my mechanic put in new standard height VE wagon King Springs KHFS-150 front and KHRS-152 back with new KYB Excel-G standard height gas shocks and struts. Handling is still extremely good but the ride quality is still rough over bumps, almost as bad as the standard factory setup despite now being at full ride height. I've dropped tire pressure down to 31psi all round but that has only helped a little.

Is the problem with Kings Springs being too stiff?
Is the problem with both the springs and the shocks/struts?
I'm OK with some decrease in handling but what do I need to change so it rides nice and smooth, like for example a Toyota Aurion?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How many kilometres did you have on the factory springs and shocks?
Did you buy it from new?

Tristan Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon V8
How many kilometres did you have on the factory springs and shocks?
Did you buy it from new?

Wagon had done 190,000 km on original springs and shocks when I put in the new stuff. I didn't buy it new but maintenance is up to date and everything is very factory and original spec, apart from the work I just had done.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
The KYB excel g shock is a little stiffer than standard but definitely not on the harsh side and people don't even notice the slight difference.

Interestingly you even said standard setup was too harsh but to most people, the standard setup feels a bit floaty and not even the slightest bit harsh

I doubt those springs are too harsh as well...they are standard replacements

Are you sure there isn't any poly bushes in any components such as control arms, caster arms, engine mounts, strut tops. These will obviously make the ride stiffer

On your compliance plate what suspension code do you have?

What kind of bumps do you feel the harshness...big bumps, constant small bumps?

What size profile tyres do you have?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why did you buy new springs? 18" wheels?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Unless you are using Holden springs, and then those specified on the build plate, and then a softer spring than that, and you should get the ride you seek.

Many set ups are going to bring a firmer ride to the car, which is what almost everyone wants.

FE2 is normally what was fitted to SS, so maybe a factory Standard spring fitted to low spec models, will give you the ride you seek. (Might also sit the car a bit higher)

Tristan Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon V8
Think I'll try some factory springs found in the base model Commodore. The King Springs seemed a lot stiffer than the factory calais springs when I did a comparison of them by pushed down on them with my foot, despite the King's being longer.