Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has Age improved the VZ ?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
looking for some advice..Im looking for a replacement car for the wife's vx. Ive been reading about the timing chain issue and the electrical gremlins eeeek..So will a 220k km VZ still have future issues or is it a case of if they are still around its prob all been exorcised?...Im a buick/elmotec sort of guy and these new alloy lumps look like a lot smoke and mirrors to me ;)
Thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I enjoy driving my Alloytec powered cars much more than my old Buick powered VP.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They were bad when they were new. If you want vz or newer look at the v8’s imo. If you want a 6, look for one of the last vy’s.

Imo vz is just too much of a gamble and they have the potential to have you opening your wallet much more often than you’d like.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
As a family, we have just bought our 4th VZ.
2 sedans 2004 and 2005, 2 wagons 2006 and 2007. Still have one of each.
Never had a timing chain problem with any so far but have done the normal coils plugs radiator balancer seal water pump, over the ones we owned..
3 had done around 180000 k's and the one just purchased has 135000 k's.

I was told by an old car salesman the vy2 was the best buy but I still like the VZ's

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Thanks for the reply's....decent Vy are thin on the ground around here...well in our price range (insurance payout)
ah well another day another dozen cars to look at :)
old used camel dealer saying..."as a seller you must be as blind as a bat, as the buyer you must have a 1000 eyes" ;)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd probably avoid one just because of the plethora of ECU issues that they seem to be having at this age.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Meh to late....deal is done..now its up to Murphy and the gods if its a keeper or not.....Ive still got my VR if it go's bad...also Id love a nice sportswagon one day so might as well get alloytech certified on the wife's dime

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'd probably avoid one just because of the plethora of ECU issues that they seem to be having at this age.
This is a valid point. One preventative for this has been offered by a forum member who made a factory looking bracket that relocated the ECU off the motor like in V8's.

It would be good if someone who can do coding was able to make a raspberry pie or similar do what the ECU and or BCM do.
Be nice (yet wishful) if Haltec did a budget ECU to retro fit to the VZ.

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
my VZ SS ute is a nightmare. not long after getting her cammed up i started getting Reduced performance mode, being a manual it wont let you rev it enough to move!! It would usually leave me stranded at a set of lights, frantically cycling the ignition until it started without the code. started happening more and more often, no logged codes when diagnostics were plugged in either. Would also get SVS, ABS and SRS warnings. Then i got, low oil pressure (but pressure tis good) and fuel very low when she had heaps of juice. Last 2 years ive not been game to drive the mole.
i lost my key before all these issues, had it replaced with a new one cut using number in Owners handbook and it obviously worked. Tho dramas started not long after.... so farked if i know.
Oh yeah, my passenger indicator would sometimes stay on after the car was locked.
Wish i could get her sorted, was quite a sweet ride...

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
^ Your BCM and/or ABS modules are cactus mate.