Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has any one got a roo bar ?

Dylon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz cross6 crewman
I've got no ute after hitting a roo on my way home. My ute and van are still in Hay waiting for a tow to be sent back to Perth. So now I'm looking at bars (I know it's a bit late) I've crossed the Nullabor in this ute 4 times so I'm thinking a 5 post alloy bar but I've also looked at the smart bars but I'm unconvinced by them. It's a 2005 cross 6 crewman that I love and want to protect in the future. Any experiences would be appreciated.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Nothing you fit will "protect" it in the sense that you are wanting.

A roobar/bullbar is designed to spread the impact across the front of the car. They are also designed to collapse, this absorbs impact lessening the actual damage to the vehicle. If you can still drive the car after an animal strike, it has done it's job.

Nothing will prevent damage, unless you hit a rabbit or a fox. Or something very insignificant.

Smart bars will probably bend more than an alloy bar. An alloy bay will fold back onto the car and even out the impact more, so I would fit one of those.

You will get hassled with a 5 poster, although technically not illegal, they don't meet suggested design parameters as stated in Australian Standards, but the particular standard describing how a "frontal protection bar" should be manufactured is not legislation, so a bullbar does not have to comply. Police think they are illegal so they will sticker you for it.

Speak to Irvin Bullbars, they make a fairly solid nice looking bar.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
totally agree with above,

the only bar that I know that will stop and not all the time mind you is a arb like I had on my 05 triton,my wife and I hit 3 roos at diff times and they just bounced off without doing any damage to the vehicle thankfully,this is just our experience so others may be the opposite,either way as above has stated they are only designed so you have more of a fighting chance if you like

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I agree with NAAF for the most part. But the part that I"ll throw my two bob in is about the smart bar. The weight of a 5 poster really upsets the apple cart and your suspension. My Prado dropped about 10mm in the front when my bar went on. The crewman will really notice the extra weight in fuel consumption. Essentially, you'll always be toting around that extra weight plus it destroys the aerodynamics also affecting the economy.... crossing the Nullarbor just got more expensive.

Keep in mind, as NAAF said, they are not designed to leave your car unscathed.... the idea is to keep the driveable and not leave you stranded.

On the flip side..... a 4 poster is great inbetween.

One last note, people will try and tell you not to get a bullbar because hitting a roo will twist the chassis and all the fun stuff.... well, if it does..... imagine what would've happened if you didn't have the bar.

Dylon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz cross6 crewman
I don't need to imagine what would happen I'm going through it now I might try to figure out how to put up a pic. I think I'm leaning towards the Irvin feral stage 3 I was quoted $2695 but I wouldn't want the mesh. I would pay the extra fuel not to get stuck like this again and have to get a lift to town again. I had an arb bar on my cruiser they don't make one for this ute. Still a future me job when the ute gets back to Perth in time.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't need to imagine what would happen I'm going through it now I might try to figure out how to put up a pic. I think I'm leaning towards the Irvin feral stage 3 I was quoted $2695 but I wouldn't want the mesh. I would pay the extra fuel not to get stuck like this again and have to get a lift to town again. I had an arb bar on my cruiser they don't make one for this ute. Still a future me job when the ute gets back to Perth in time.

crikeys they are dear now-worth it though,ring around a few wreckers and check fleabay,you never know what you may find

Rosco994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy V6 S2 Ute
There are some good companies around like sick puppy, tuff and boomers although I'm not sure how available they would be in wa but just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free