Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has any1 seen this sort of damage before?? Piston damage, bent pushrods, melted intake manifold

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Kraziiii, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Kraziiii

Kraziiii New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0
    20190728_230846_resize_87.jpg 20190728_230846_resize_87.jpg So I went against my own golden rule & I let 'a mate' who said they knew what they were doing, work on my pride & joy BIGGEST mistake I ever made as you can see...

Luckily I have a really good mate who actually is a good mate & is saving my butt right now. We've decided to go with a motor swap but Im still trying to get my head around how the hell this much damage happened so quickly & what exactly has happened besides the obvious valves smacking the **** out of the pistons we haven't gone any further than ripping the heads off so far but I know the damage can't have stopped here

Before anyone says 'never let a backyard mechanic play with your pride & joy' I stuck by that rule for the 5yrs I owned this car & learnt the hard way why I will never do it again. The lifesaver 'heaven sent' mechanic working on it now is fully qualified & knows his VE's.
    As much as he hates fixing ammatteur 'know it all' stuff ups, he's still helping me out & going over her with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is back up to scratch & that nothing like this ever happens again...

Any comments & insight will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    What did you have him do?

Looks like oil buildup on the intake, if the runners had melted I'd wager a lot of the other plastic that makes contact with the head around the ports would have too.

Looks like a ring land has broken off (or something was dropped in the cylinder) and smashed around inside the cylinder clogging up the valves and causing the pushrods to bend, doesn't look like the valves have made contact with the piston (no valve shaped indentations and no bent lips on the valves). Outside of awful tuning or dropping something down there, there's not a lot you could do to directly cause this.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  3. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    What was your mate doing to the engine in the first place? Was the pot with the broken piston full of coolant and something had to give ? Pissed n broke

4. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Cammed it with stock pushrods (and possibly stock springs) and a **** tune?

Intake valves stuck open caused the intake damage I’d guess?

Tbh it’s going to be cheaper for you to find another good used engine. $3-4K would have you sorted. Still cheaper than spending money on that mess and you’ll save time too.

Kraziiii likes this.
  5. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Might help if you actually tell us full story...

What work & mods did you get him to do?
    Did it do that straight after he finished job?
    Mileage & service history?
    Cam/dod lifters shat itself?

Could easily say shoddy service history with engine having blowby issue or something hence oil crud filled manifold or dod lifter let go we don't know actual story/history...

6. pnlimo

pnlimo Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice
    View attachment 206123 View attachment 206125 Yep. I've seen something similar a couple of years back. My L98 with 512,000 blew a piston and bent a con rod. Happened while starting. cranked a couple of times then, an almighty bang! Even with the high kms (car was serviced meticulously every 7,500 kms using fully synthetic oil and genuine GM filter) the engine was running perfectly before this happened. Fortunately, I sourced a low Km replacement motor which my mechanic fitted.

Attached Files:

7. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Fucked up cam timing causing things to hit and fire to go where it shouldn't = bent/broken and melted ****.

losh1971 and VS_Pete like this.
  8. vywgn

vywgn Member

Members Ride:
    1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
    As above timing on the engine jumped around and caused the valves to touch

9. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    ... seen worse
    6800 WOT in third around the back of the Hayshed at PI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Active Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Valves haven’t touched that piston and valves are intact I’d say something foreign has gone through ? A ten mm but will do that sort of damage and that’s speaking from experience lol

Tree cutter and losh1971 like this.
  11. krusing

krusing Active Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    Pissed n Broke Literally,
    By the looks of it, with the pure blonde stubby in the back ground :D

losh1971 likes this.
  12. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Just noticed tie bar lifters. Old mate has definitely had a crack at camming that engine imo. Bet it's something with big lift and either haven't set up valvetrain or used correct components.

Wonder whether it was on the limiter when it failed...

13. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Going by that bent pushrod, hmmmm?

14. Kraziiii

Kraziiii New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sorry for the late reply.
    Before 'my mate' touched my car, I had already had a VCM 5 cam installed about 4yrs prior with Tie Morel Bar Lifters, Trend Pushrods, Pistons were flycut at the time aswell. Also had a set of Pacemaker Tri Y extractors fitted & custom '4 into 2' 2.5inch/3inch exhaust then Dyno Tuned at which she was pulling 320rkw by that stage. The place that did the engine work didnt think it needed double coil valve springs obviously & eventually one snapped.
    When this happened, my mate jumped in said he was going to rip the worked heads off his VE SSV & put them on mine. He pushed & pushed & eventually, I agreed.

He swore black & blue he knew what he was doing & told me that I had no need to worry when I raised any issues that were bothering me.

When we first kicked it over, he was standing right in front of the throttle body & it backfired loud af & literally blew the sunglasses he had on, straight off his head.

I said wtf and again he said it was nothing to worry about.

I had a sick feeling in my gut by then & knew I'd made a big mistake.

When he told me to kick it over again a cpl of days later when we met back at the car, it started but was misfiring & sounded rough af. Thats when I started to tell him to leave it alone. He kept pushing & I had to literally move the commy from there so he would get his f'ing hands off it. I drove it to the closest safe place possible & even though it was a short distance, it obviously did a lot of damage

15. Kraziiii

Kraziiii New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0

Sorry for the late reply.
    Before 'my mate' touched my car, I had already had a VCM 5 cam installed about 4yrs prior with Tie Morel Bar Lifters, Trend Pushrods, Pistons were flycut at the time aswell. Also had a set of Pacemaker Tri Y extractors fitted & custom '4 into 2' 2.5inch/3inch exhaust then Dyno Tuned at which she was pulling 320rkw by that stage. The place that did the engine work didnt think it needed double coil valve springs obviously & eventually one snapped.
    When this happened, my mate jumped in said he was going to rip the worked heads off his VE SSV & put them on mine. He pushed & pushed & eventually, I agreed.

He swore black & blue he knew what he was doing & told me that I had no need to worry when I raised any issues that were bothering me.

When we first kicked it over, he was standing right in front of the throttle body & it backfired loud af & literally blew the sunglasses he had on, straight off his head.

When he told me to kick it over again a cpl of days later when we met back at the car, it started but was misfiring & sounded rough af. Thats when I started to tell him to leave it alone. He kept pushing & I had to literally move the commy from there so he would get his f'ing hands off it. I drove it to the closest safe place possible & even though it was a short distance, it obviously did a lot of damage

16. Kraziiii

Kraziiii New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0

And noo...its Definately not oil build up in the intake manifold. Its literally melted, hard as a rock. I tried to chip a piece out with a chisel & hammer & didnt get anywhere. Its shocking. I'll post some more pics for you tomorrow so you can have a better look & see what I mean

17. Kraziiii

Kraziiii New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0
    He was just supposed to be swapping the heads over to some worked newer ones that he had...

18. Kraziiii

Kraziiii New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0

Sorry for the late reply.

When he told me to kick it over again a cpl of days later when we met back at the car, it started but was misfiring & sounded rough af. Thats when I started to tell him to leave it alone. He kept pushing & I had to literally move the commy from there so he would get his f'ing hands off it. I drove it to the closest safe place possible & even though it was a short distance, it obviously did a lot of damage.

Its not oil build up in the manifold. The manifold was clean as a whistle before start up as it was cleaned when we took the old heads off.
    Its melted plastic inside.
    I'll post more pics tomorrow for you to have a better look

19. VT2Commie

VT2Commie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT2 Clubsport R8
    I'd be checking the engine number on the block is still the same as your rego papers TBH ?!?

20. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Those don’t look like hardened pushrods to me... bet old mate kept the trend rods for himself

Still gonna say pushrods were a big part of the problem.

lmoengnr likes this.