Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has any1 seen this sort of damage before?? Piston damage, bent pushrods, melted intake manifold

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What was your mate doing to the engine in the first place? Was the pot with the broken piston full of coolant and something had to give ? Pissed n broke

Pissed n Broke Literally,
By the looks of it, with the pure blonde stubby in the back ground :D

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just noticed tie bar lifters. Old mate has definitely had a crack at camming that engine imo. Bet it's something with big lift and either haven't set up valvetrain or used correct components.

Wonder whether it was on the limiter when it failed...

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just noticed tie bar lifters. Old mate has definitely had a crack at camming that engine imo. Bet it's something with big lift and either haven't set up valvetrain or used correct components.

Wonder whether it was on the limiter when it failed...

Going by that bent pushrod, hmmmm?

Kraziiii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sorry for the late reply.
Before 'my mate' touched my car, I had already had a VCM 5 cam installed about 4yrs prior with Tie Morel Bar Lifters, Trend Pushrods, Pistons were flycut at the time aswell. Also had a set of Pacemaker Tri Y extractors fitted & custom '4 into 2' 2.5inch/3inch exhaust then Dyno Tuned at which she was pulling 320rkw by that stage. The place that did the engine work didnt think it needed double coil valve springs obviously & eventually one snapped.
When this happened, my mate jumped in said he was going to rip the worked heads off his VE SSV & put them on mine. He pushed & pushed & eventually, I agreed.

He swore black & blue he knew what he was doing & told me that I had no need to worry when I raised any issues that were bothering me.

When we first kicked it over, he was standing right in front of the throttle body & it backfired loud af & literally blew the sunglasses he had on, straight off his head.

I said wtf and again he said it was nothing to worry about.

I had a sick feeling in my gut by then & knew I'd made a big mistake.

When he told me to kick it over again a cpl of days later when we met back at the car, it started but was misfiring & sounded rough af. Thats when I started to tell him to leave it alone. He kept pushing & I had to literally move the commy from there so he would get his f'ing hands off it. I drove it to the closest safe place possible & even though it was a short distance, it obviously did a lot of damage

Kraziiii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
What did you have him do?

Looks like oil buildup on the intake, if the runners had melted I'd wager a lot of the other plastic that makes contact with the head around the ports would have too.

Looks like a ring land has broken off (or something was dropped in the cylinder) and smashed around inside the cylinder clogging up the valves and causing the pushrods to bend, doesn't look like the valves have made contact with the piston (no valve shaped indentations and no bent lips on the valves). Outside of awful tuning or dropping something down there, there's not a lot you could do to directly cause this.

Sorry for the late reply.
Before 'my mate' touched my car, I had already had a VCM 5 cam installed about 4yrs prior with Tie Morel Bar Lifters, Trend Pushrods, Pistons were flycut at the time aswell. Also had a set of Pacemaker Tri Y extractors fitted & custom '4 into 2' 2.5inch/3inch exhaust then Dyno Tuned at which she was pulling 320rkw by that stage. The place that did the engine work didnt think it needed double coil valve springs obviously & eventually one snapped.
When this happened, my mate jumped in said he was going to rip the worked heads off his VE SSV & put them on mine. He pushed & pushed & eventually, I agreed.

He swore black & blue he knew what he was doing & told me that I had no need to worry when I raised any issues that were bothering me.

When we first kicked it over, he was standing right in front of the throttle body & it backfired loud af & literally blew the sunglasses he had on, straight off his head.

When he told me to kick it over again a cpl of days later when we met back at the car, it started but was misfiring & sounded rough af. Thats when I started to tell him to leave it alone. He kept pushing & I had to literally move the commy from there so he would get his f'ing hands off it. I drove it to the closest safe place possible & even though it was a short distance, it obviously did a lot of damage

Kraziiii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
What did you have him do?

Looks like oil buildup on the intake, if the runners had melted I'd wager a lot of the other plastic that makes contact with the head around the ports would have too.

Looks like a ring land has broken off (or something was dropped in the cylinder) and smashed around inside the cylinder clogging up the valves and causing the pushrods to bend, doesn't look like the valves have made contact with the piston (no valve shaped indentations and no bent lips on the valves). Outside of awful tuning or dropping something down there, there's not a lot you could do to directly cause this.

And noo...its Definately not oil build up in the intake manifold. Its literally melted, hard as a rock. I tried to chip a piece out with a chisel & hammer & didnt get anywhere. Its shocking. I'll post some more pics for you tomorrow so you can have a better look & see what I mean

Kraziiii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
What was your mate doing to the engine in the first place? Was the pot with the broken piston full of coolant and something had to give ? Pissed n broke

He was just supposed to be swapping the heads over to some worked newer ones that he had...

Kraziiii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
Might help if you actually tell us full story...

What work & mods did you get him to do?
Did it do that straight after he finished job?
Mileage & service history?
Cam/dod lifters shat itself?

Could easily say shoddy service history with engine having blowby issue or something hence oil crud filled manifold or dod lifter let go we don't know actual story/history...

Sorry for the late reply.

When he told me to kick it over again a cpl of days later when we met back at the car, it started but was misfiring & sounded rough af. Thats when I started to tell him to leave it alone. He kept pushing & I had to literally move the commy from there so he would get his f'ing hands off it. I drove it to the closest safe place possible & even though it was a short distance, it obviously did a lot of damage.

Its not oil build up in the manifold. The manifold was clean as a whistle before start up as it was cleaned when we took the old heads off.
Its melted plastic inside.
I'll post more pics tomorrow for you to have a better look

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I'd be checking the engine number on the block is still the same as your rego papers TBH ?!?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Those don’t look like hardened pushrods to me... bet old mate kept the trend rods for himself

Still gonna say pushrods were a big part of the problem.