Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
In the last few Days I have service 3 autos (pan off change the filter, remove THAT seal, change the oil) on 3 cars, our Shopping car a VR Commodore when it rains, our second shopping car when it does not rain a resurrected VE Anniversity and my sons Statesman and in the last 20 years I have done over 30 cars with no issue but now I find my self with a car like any VF or in my case a WN Caprice V that has not dipstick and you need a Level elevated or a hoist to do it in. I have seen a few videos on now to service these auto's and that not the problem but I want to know has anyone attempted to do this at home
See I don't trust other to do this CORRECTLY and if so I would like to see if they are taking short cuts to do this to save time and they pathetic $$$.

Also
I wonder how much HOLDEN STEALERS charge for this.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I’m not sure why you think it’s any harder than the others. The level is even easier. If you overfill the trans, pull out the overflow plug and let out drain.
As long as you check around the right temperature, you’ll be ok.

Find a level car park and check how level the pinch welds at the sills are, then replicate the same level when on stands at home.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Or look at installing an auto trans dipstick... there is a thread with part numbers and instructions somewhere on these forums... from memory it’s a simple but fiddly install ;)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Or look at installing an auto trans dipstick... there is a thread with part numbers and instructions somewhere on these forums... from memory it’s a simple but fiddly install ;)
Here is one of the threads., with a link.

I think eagle spares (Dandenong) was or still selling them (dipsticks for 6l80 & 6l90).
Pace spares in the USA. Plus other companies in the USA.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The time is near when engine oil dipsticks will disappear too...
Lots of euros alread don't have them....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The time is near when engine oil dipsticks will disappear too...
Lots of euros alread don't have them....
Telsa never had an engine oil dipstick ;)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is one of the threads., with a link.

I think eagle spares (Dandenong) was or still selling them (dipsticks for 6l80 & 6l90).
Pace spares in the USA. Plus other companies in the USA.
But it seems you need the 6L80 E out to do the Mod. eeeeEK!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Come to think of it I wont do this because to service the 6L80 E every 150,000 k's,,,,,,, for a service ,,,,,Well it will take me 20 years to do 10,000 ks and probly be dead by the time I get to the Next 10,000 ks

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m not sure why you think it’s any harder than the others. The level is even easier. If you overfill the trans, pull out the overflow plug and let out drain.
As long as you check around the right temperature, you’ll be ok.

Find a level car park and check how level the pinch welds at the sills are, then replicate the same level when on stands at home.
Need more info on the pinch welds at the sill. Yes have two quality Spirit Levels at home, Different length.
Tell me If auto oil is at the right temperature (I think around 90 Deg C could be wrong if som what is the correct temp) does it expand so you have a higher level compared when its COLD in the early morning.

Last edited: