Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
You must be able to get the filter kit on ebay as well?
Tried yesterday but nothing. Maybe I worded it wrong but will try again

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found this: (How good are they)
For $27

This one for around $85

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's always interesting to compare different brands. I've compared at least three brands of transmission filter kits for my VE 4 speed. Three aftermarket brands and they all used exactly the same filter. I mean made in the same factory with exactly the same stamping on the plastic casing. So now I only buy the transgold kit from supercheap. No point paying double the price for the same thing with a different label from somewhere else. Have not bought one from Holden to know if that's the same or not.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Had some spare time so decided to fit some parts I've collected over the last few years. No good having them sit around unused!

One thing I really wanted to do was fit the trans dipstick tube I bought from Janetty racing. As I was putting on some HSV headers I thought this would be a good opportunity to do it.

Wasn't a bad job, bit fiddly but happy with the result.

View attachment 214548
Janetty dipstick tube.

View attachment 214545
Removing fill plug.

View attachment 214546
Nice firm fitting, Needed to be put in from the top of engine bay.

View attachment 214550
Tube needs to be worked in underneath conduit.

View attachment 214551
Mounting bracket needed to be bent to allow headers to go back in.

View attachment 214552
Finished result is good. I put on a OTR as well so took off the sound enhancer. Not sure if it would have gotten in the way but I suspect so.

Going to mark hot and cold levels on the dipstick before fitting a Camaro deep pan. Should make further trans services easier in the future.
I got one myself. Tried to fit it but struggled. Do you think it's possible to do it without taking off the headers. I have found competing space between teh wire conduit next to the trans and the dipstick itself have thwarted me.
So you went in through the engine bay first? Any further advice?
Thanks.

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Yep, tried from underneath first but the wires going to the starter motor and conduit next to the trans stopped the tube from fitting properly. I reckon it might be hard to fit with the headers in place due to having to twist the tube just right to work with the wiring. The conduit definitely needs to be under the trans tube (pic 4). Picture 5 shows the trans bracket and how the starter wiring had to go. I could only do this from putting it in from the top. The fitting in the trans was really tight so I worked a piece of stockinette over the tube to help pull it in to place from underneath the car.

It was a bit fiddly but I'm really happy with it. I was worried when I started it I was going to have trans fluid leaking everywhere but all good.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Found this: (How good are they)
For $27

This one for around $85
RTK 178 for standard 6l80e. $55

I used the RTK173 for me (deep pan with wide mouth filter & deeper filler). The gasket is a bit annoying as it doesnt have the rubber studs but it works well.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
RTK 178 for standard 6l80e. $55

I used the RTK173 for me (deep pan with wide mouth filter & deeper filler). The gasket is a bit annoying as it doesnt have the rubber studs but it works well.
So the RTK173 at Supercheap is around $73 so what the Difference between the RTK173 compared with the RTK178? "eg" better gasket or whatever.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
So the RTK173 at Supercheap is around $73 so what the Difference between the RTK173 compared with the RTK178? "eg" better gasket or whatever.
173 is for the deep pan. 178 is standard
Same gasket.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
173 is for the deep pan. 178 is standard
Same gasket.
So its RTK178 is the go for a Standard Pan for a 6L80E. I can get it from Ebay for $69.96 and the Transmission fluid AC Delco Dexron 6 for $59 @ 4 ltrs and need two of them so this is better than the $410 from Holden + I will take my time and if I decide to do it I will write down a list from start and Finish and tick each one as I do it to the end. Yes I have to do this because what the Stroke has done to me. I do this on all other major jobs I do including all Electrical jobs including Electronics work I still do but dont like if I forget something inportant in the middle of the Process.