Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Use an infra red temperature gun to check the fluid temp at the pan. I’ve never seen more than a couple of degrees difference to what the scan tool displays.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Use an infra red temperature gun to check the fluid temp at the pan. I’ve never seen more than a couple of degrees difference to what the scan tool displays.
When l did mine (6l50), the difference was 6 degrees. I wasn't putting in enough with the if temp gun.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
As you all know I love testing things so what I will do as long as I dont forget is I will use via the OBD2 327 Cable Street Program (always forget the name of it) thanks for Tazzie, Argggggh by the way I contacted Tazzie about this is his program will work on a WN series cars but the the same time the same day the Forum had a upgrade so maybe the PM went missing. Anyhow I wil use his program to tell me say 35 deg C then remove the already loosen plug to see what happens but if nothing come out I have add more or start the process again but at the same time I will check the IR Gun itself for accuracy itself. or Nominate 30 deg C only.
What do you recon guys is 35 deg ok to check as if a lot come out then it goes to a trickle I it will put the plug in and I say IT OK!!
Yes I will write downs a list so I dont forget anything "eg" go through all the gears for at least 10 seconds and other.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Biggest issue with IR gun is it gives you a different reading depending on what colour surface you measure, and how shiney and reflective it is. They are more accurate reading a dull black surface but very inaccurate on anything chrome or silver.
I think you will get a good result. Just don't drop it straight off the ramps and do ten laps around Bathurst as a test drive. If it feels good driving around the block then go a bit further.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
As you all know I love testing things so what I will do as long as I dont forget is I will use via the OBD2 327 Cable Street Program (always forget the name of it) thanks for Tazzie, Argggggh by the way I contacted Tazzie about this is his program will work on a WN series cars but the the same time the same day the Forum had a upgrade so maybe the PM went missing. Anyhow I wil use his program to tell me say 35 deg C then remove the already loosen plug to see what happens but if nothing come out I have add more or start the process again but at the same time I will check the IR Gun itself for accuracy itself. or Nominate 30 deg C only.
What do you recon guys is 35 deg ok to check as if a lot come out then it goes to a trickle I it will put the plug in and I say IT OK!!
Yes I will write downs a list so I dont forget anything "eg" go through all the gears for at least 10 seconds and other.
Don't overthink it. If the program with the Elm 327 works just use that. 35 degrees is fine.
Good idea to write a checklist and mark it off.

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Anyone used the Torque pro app for Trans temperature on a L77? The PIDs 221940 was the only one which would show a temperature out of the 3 options but starts at about 28deg C on a cold start. Seems wrong on a cold transmission?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't overthink it. If the program with the Elm 327 works just use that. 35 degrees is fine.
Good idea to write a checklist and mark it off.
Yes, Yes because this is one of my Failure after my Strokes "eg" forgetting steps

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyhow I will buy today on line the Ryco filter RTK 178 with the gasket + 2X 4ltr AC Delco Dexron 6 (IV)

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Double post.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whilst I 'm at It I decided to change the spark plugs and leads with Genuine AC Delco plugs and leads. Yes had them for 3 weeks. The original leads were very very difficult to remove, snapped one of them, just as well I have new leads. That outer heat shield on the lead and that spring tells me the reason why the lead is hard to get off. Now I wonder if I push the heat shield towards the engine does it allow the lead to come off easier.