Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Come to think of it I wont do this because to service the 6L80 E every 150,000 k's,,,,,,, for a service ,,,,,Well it will take me 20 years to do 10,000 ks and probly be dead by the time I get to the Next 10,000 ks

Depends on cars life, if city car stop start change the oil at 60k, had one VE 6pd that was a city car when we bought and trans was so dirty, serviced parents 6sp at 80k country car and was clean as.

Service is easy just need level ground and temps right. Thsi little gem helps heaps

1596926074120.png

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Depends on cars life, if city car stop start change the oil at 60k, had one VE 6pd that was a city car when we bought and trans was so dirty, serviced parents 6sp at 80k country car and was clean as.

Service is easy just need level ground and temps right. Thsi little gem helps heaps

View attachment 212974
I bought a pump that is similar. It will screw onto the 4 litre containers & also 1 litre containers. It seems to fit a few different bottles, containers.
It was about $20.00 in price. Very good investment, l think.

I only use it for the dex 6.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

View attachment 212974
Yes I service my VE Anniversity and it had only one auto service before on the auto and had 158,000 on the clock and the oil was 50/50 and the filter was the same

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 212974
Ve Easy, as you have a Dip Stick to use

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought a pump that is similar. It will screw onto the 4 litre containers & also 1 litre containers. It seems to fit a few different bottles, containers.
It was about $20.00 in price. Very good investment, l think.

I only use it for the dex 6.
Where did you get the pump from?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Make a cup of coffee and bring it with you

Car sitting level on jack stand. Just by eye works for me, or you can use a tape measure.

Start the car (easier to do this if cold)

Idle it for a couple of minutes

Run through each gear R, D, M1, M2 etc then back to park. Spend 3 - 5 sec in each gear.

Leave the car running... Drink coffee and check the news. Wait for you scanner to get to close to 30°

Get under the car with the drain bolt loose

As soon as you see your temp reach 30° (on the scanner, not temp gun), remove the drain bolt.

If nothing comes out you need to top up. If it flows, let it do its thing until it is hardly dripping.

Reinstall bolt, torque to 25Nm. Turn off car, finish coffee.

If you need to top, add half a litre and repeat the process. Temperature is critical. The lower the temp the more oil is left in the pan. Because of the fuzzy feeling that gives me I always check mine at the lower end of the recommend range (30 - 50°)

It will take a few hours for the car to cool again so it is best to have everything organised before you start if you need to top up. I.e suction gun full of fluid, fill plug removed etc.

Capture.PNG

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Make a cup of coffee and bring it with you

As soon as you see your temp reach 30° (on the scanner, not temp gun), remove the drain bolt.

View attachment 213073
I don't have a scan tool, I have a 3M infra type Temp gun like the V8 Supercars used to measure the temp of the road services.
I have on my notebook Computer a copy of ELM Street that Use to use on my VF Storm but I dont know if the ELM Street works on a WN Caprice V 6.0. Might have to ask Tazzi for this as I think when I used it on the VF Storm the Program told me on the Auto section the Temperature was.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
the lower the temp the more oil is left in the pan. Because of the fuzzy feeling that gives me I always check mine at the lower end of the recommend range (30 - 50°)

I

View attachment 213073
You would think its the other way around or I'm getting you message wrong or maybe you saying this if the engine is turned off and this is the reason why you have more oil in the pan when cold.
Say on a VE or VR Commodore The Hotter the car gets after starting from cold the level in the pan increases. "EG" Start the Typical VE or VR Commodore and check the oil in the pan IMMEDIATELY and the level is lower (COLD LEVEL) but ater you let the car idle for 10 minutes and when you car temp on you gauge inside the car says its normal max operation temperature you check the auto again on the dip stick and you will find it higher to the range of Hotter oil marked at XXXXXXXXX that has to be in that hot ranges as where it should be.

Reactions: Lex