Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I would like to Ask two questions.

1/ On the typicle WN or VF 6L80E gearbox how much oil is used to do a normal change " eg" 5 or 6, litres or whatever.

2/ How do you remove the plastic BLACK oil filler above of the Pan. Any other tricks to watch for and yes I know clean around first before removing. What protect it for getting dirt/water inside, does it have a "O" ring

1602197100983.png

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I would like to Ask two questions.

1/ On the typicle WN or VF 6L80E gearbox how much oil is used to do a normal change " eg" 5 or 6, litres or whatever.

2/ How do you remove the plastic BLACK oil filler above of the Pan. Any other tricks to watch for and yes I know clean around first before removing. What protect it for getting dirt/water inside, does it have a "O" ring
I used angled needle nose pliers. Yours looks like it's already out. Youre meant to pop the top up, then pull. It looks like you've already doen that, it should just lift out. No O ring etc.

According to service manual its 6.3 litres.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used angled needle nose pliers. Yours looks like it's already out. Youre meant to pop the top up, then pull. It looks like you've already doen that, it should just lift out. No O ring etc.

For the 2013 my14 series cars VF or WN
The Photo above was taken from another members photo. Yes have not look at mine yet (After Bathurst I will start) so far but would like to know how to remove and what do I expect to happen, and what should I do to remove it because I will need it to fill the auto up using my new toy that I got from Supercheap yesterday

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

Bought from espay today a 11 inch 90 Degree angled needle nose pliers. Now I got all that is needed to do the Job and all is need now it time to do it because I have always others jobs to do around the house. I prefer to do it in the Garage and the most time will be spent to lifting the car to be level. I say I will take two days to do the job. + I will print a list in order on what to do from 1 to whatever.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will be doing the auto service on Wednesday 28th and Thursday 29th (Two day) as Im slow and I take my time and wont start until 11.30 am on Wednesday due to me and the Whole family being sick with a bug (No Not Covid).
Yes I have written a good tutorial in order on what to do and what not to do.
Now I have one Question to ask::: I have noticed when the Caprice is parked and going nowhere "eg" in the Garage and I select the Gears I can Get R, I think D, M1, M2, M3, and after this I think it Shift Denied for 4th, 5th and 6th. Now when I drive the car up the street in Manual Sports Mode in the 80 KPH Zone (not 60) I can get M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 and M6 and all is ok(the Rev Counter proves this) Is this Normal that when the car is parked I get **** denied from M4, M5 and M6 when I try to select them when stopped.
Thanks

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I will be doing the auto service on Wednesday 28th and Thursday 29th (Two day) as Im slow and I take my time and wont start until 11.30 am on Wednesday due to me and the Whole family being sick with a bug (No Not Covid).
Yes I have written a good tutorial in order on what to do and what not to do.
Now I have one Question to ask::: I have noticed when the Caprice is parked and going nowhere "eg" in the Garage and I select the Gears I can Get R, I think D, M1, M2, M3, and after this I think it Shift Denied for 4th, 5th and 6th. Now when I drive the car up the street in Manual Sports Mode in the 80 KPH Zone (not 60) I can get M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 and M6 and all is ok(the Rev Counter proves this) Is this Normal that when the car is parked I get **** denied from M4, M5 and M6 when I try to select them when stopped.
Thanks
Normal.
You don't need to go to the manual gears. The service manual just says park, reverse, neutral and drive.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
For the 2013 my14 series cars VF or WN
The Photo above was taken from another members photo. Yes have not look at mine yet (After Bathurst I will start) so far but would like to know how to remove and what do I expect to happen, and what should I do to remove it because I will need it to fill the auto up using my new toy that I got from Supercheap yesterday
Just be careful when you're filling if the car is hot or on. It is very close to the driver's side cat, which will melt the plastic if contact is made with the pump's hose.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just be careful when you're filling if the car is hot or on. It is very close to the driver's side cat, which will melt the plastic if contact is made with the pump's hose.
Yes have the Tool Pro Pump. This is the reason why I'm taking two days to do this as I will allow the car to fully cool to add more oil in again. For the Final test I will start at cold and let it to get to 30 Deg C (about 10 minutes from stone motherless cold)) before I remove the overflow plug at 35 Deg C. I will do this test twice, Remove the Plug and Quickly put it back in for the second test. By what I have read so far its best to have 200ML more than less.
For the Filler plug I will put that plug loosely in up the top and once finished I will fit it in FULLY when COLD.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Report for Wednesday Work.
The Car is set correctly according to my spirit level as to what the car is on a level floor in my garage

1/ Right!!!! I got two 1000 glass ml beaker out and shoved them under the over flow bolt on the 6L80 E Box and I removed the bolt and had 1700 ml come out of a stone motherless cold ambient temp. (car has not been started for two days)

2/ I Remove the pan, found the oil slighty toward the dark but what I notice is the Gasket. WOW !! one my time WOW!!!. After seeing the quality of the Genuine AC Delco Gasket I said to my self I MUST HAVE ONE OF THESE . Truck!!! not with the F the Ryco Cork caskets is poor compare with the AC Delco one so I rang Holden Stealer to see if they have one (they have it because they need it to service cars with 6L80 E boxes) and it cost me $80. This is a very Impressive gasket and I 100% suggest to all to buy it on the 6L80 E auto box.
I think the gasket its made of steel with rubber either side that has two corrugations on both sides for better seal plus around the 18 holes it has a collapsing ring around the bolt hole.

3/ Clean and fitted the pan with the new gasket, My Torque wrench is useless as its impossible to set it at 9 nm and my wrench is 10nm (the lowest) and even then I would say it not accurate so I set it to 10 and possibly got 11 or more. Yes it was a SHI.t to remove the old seal but I tried the fit the new filter with the seal 50% on and its a NO Go even using a rubber hammer (Slightly) Yes I had to sweet to remove the seal because it was fully on then put the seal on the box by itself by using a correct size of socket (same Size of the Seal) and a 6 inch extension bar on the socket then my hammer and it went in ok like I did on the VE Commodore. Yes once again I forgot to do it this way, Blame the Stroke. after this the Filter when in ok .

4/ Took the Over flow plug out,

5/ Used my TOOL Pro to fill the pan and once oil start dripping out of the overflow bolt I PUT THE PLUG BACK IN (not tightened yet) and ADDED 1700 ml on top. (like what i noticed when I removed the old oil, 1700 ml)

6/ Starter the car, 10 second for each on Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive and even M1, M2 and M3 (Told dont need to do M1 M2 M3) then my wife notice in Reverse the wheels went backwards and in Drive the wheels went forwards. after this I turned the Engine off .

Today its the 35 deg C time to warm the box up then see what happens when I remove the bolt off. What do you think Guys!, The extra 1700 ml on top what will be the out come? Will it drain out or will I need more oil.. I lets you all know later this arvo or tomorrow morning (friday). So guy take a guess on what will happen? was the box over filled or other.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
The ryco gasket is fine, it's what I've got on at the moment and no leaks at all.

When you say 1.7L out of the check level bolt, how much was there sitting in the pan too? You gotta calculate it that way assuming you emptied the pan.

If you didnt empty the pan, then adding the 2.4L means it is overfull and it will just drain out when the car is on and you take off the bolt. Put the bolt back in when it slows.
Make sure not to remove the bolt when the car is off as it will dump too much fluid.