Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Epilogue

Well the Caprice V with a L77 and a 6L80E auto gearbox has been finished. I took my time and done it right. I gave the box a 1.7 ltr flush and added 2.2 Ltr AC Delco Dexron 6 back in then run the car for a minute in P then checked R, N, D, M1. M2, M3, for 5 seconds then back to D and stopped it at P. Now when I started the Car the gearbox temp was 25 Deg C and by the time I finished the above it was 28 Deg C so I waited, waited, waited until 35 Deg come up (it flashed early firstly but eventually after a few second it become a steady 35 Deg C ) and waited until it was flashing 36 then 36 Deg C Steady and I removed the over flow bolt and a steady stream come out for a second or so then it dripped around the edges of the Bolt hole. I measured what came out it was 210 ml......
WARNING !!! When you take the overflow bolt off and a steady stream comes out at the Correct Temperature then you will get a drip around the edges of the Bolt hole you must put the plug back in immediately otherwise it wont stop dripping around the edges of the hole because the gearbox is getting hotter and hotter the oil expands more oil come out because the oil is still expanding and before you know it the Auto will be 60 or 70 Deg C and it still will be dripping out continually and you will have a scenario of a UNDER FILLED 6L80E Auto.

Now you have read what I have written before about how long it takes for the Temperature to go down from 80 Deg C (Normal Driving Temp) to around 40 Deg C ( you need a minumium of 35 Deg C) so What I would like to know how can they the Professionals do a service on your car because Time is money and they will not wait for the car to become cooler and if you drive you car to their premise's they will take your car in close to straight away and drain the auto oil when hot and fill it with cold oil and although the gearbox is starting to cool down the pan will be at ambient temp (washed now) then they will fit the pan on and the residual Gearbox Temp will heat the pan up and I bet my last dollar the 6L80E will be hotter than 30 Deg C so how can they do the job CORRECTLY.
For me as you start the car then Go through all the gears @ 5 seconds apart then hoist the car up or even they might have a blu tooth device plugged into the OBD 2 Port and use their phone with a app and to get the correct temperature ( Just about Impossible) I bet before you say SH.IT the temperture will be at or over 50 Deg C and you do this and fill it and release the over flow bolt and if you are slow the temp will be @60 or more until you put the bolt back in and before you know it you will end up having a 6L80E that is UNDER FILL Gearbox.

By the way, I test the temp on the Pan when doing this process and at around 37 deg on the Computer using the ELM 327 Street program and at the same time the hand held IR Gun was 34 Deg on the 3M device.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
And how was the test drive after all the hard work?

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
And how was the test drive after all the hard work?
No as I have not taken the car off the stands yet. Tomorrow I will take it off the stands. I will take photos today showing from front to back as I have completely clean the car underneath. Remember the Front bumper bar has been re-painted + a brand new assembly that goes behind the bumper bar that plastic thing under or in front of the Engine yes that large thing and I cleaned ever part of the front suspension, Re painted that bracket (same black) that goes under the stainless pipes located in the centre of the car + the Complete rear suspension as it took one full day to do the rear. Even the rear springs I got them to shine again and finished with the rear section that houses the spare tyre and that was a fiddler clean to do and bring it back up close to new.. For the Exhaust pipes I made them shine again before I fitted the Maloo pipe and the same with a Bi Modal mufflers that got cleaned with acid and a new paint job to match what they were when they were new (PS holden in there wisdom they only spray half the mufflers, the bit on the rear and they do it without masking so I did the same).
After this the car will be never used on a wet day of driving, only a Sunday driving car.

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Since I got the car up on stands and level I might change the Diff oil. Tried to release both Plugs the top and botton and they are both ok and they will be nothing worst than have the top one jammed LOL,LOL and lert the oil out from the bottom.
Checking the tag on the LSD Diff yes it LSD marked as Yes and you need SAF Carbon oil so can anyone give me hints on what brand to use and what grade.
Thanks
Photo's coming soon of clean underneath car.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used this:

It needs about 1.1 litres - but I had 2x vfs and did them at the same time.

The old diff fluid was horrible. I'm glad I changed it.
Is this oil ok for a LSD not a one wheel spinner?

Did more reading and this oil is ok.

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Quote from penrite:
" Pro Gear 75W-90 is already dosed with the correct amount of friction additive for use in limited slip differentials, no extra additive is required, nor should it be added as seal degradation may result. "

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some pic to show you what I'm like. Its 100% or nothing. If I was in business I WOULD GO BROKE

The Pic below shows you I'm torquing the over flow plug @ 25 Nm + you can see the Computer with the street programe to tell me the temo of the 6L80E gearbox + those 2 X 1000 and 1 X 500ml containers that I use to TEST and found out the Origal oil was short by 750ml Hummmmm (No leaks).
Also in this photo you will see hiding behind the 3 containers the Tool Pro Pump that I use to fill the box up +++ I used one of those 20X20mm cable tie blocks that I stuck it on the sump under the filler and used a cable tire to make sure the hot exhaust pipe does not damage the tube on the Tool Pro Pump. Notice on the wall as I have 40mm sheet of foam (750X 600X40 MM) just in case my hands slip and the door hits the wall. I have this ON ALL cars to stop this issue

The photo below show you how nice under the car is as I had the bar painted + I bought a new under assembly.

The Photo below shows you the mid plate (re Painted) under the exhaust pipes + the shinny stainless pipes + the fuel tanks that look like they are close to new.

The last photo show you the cleaned rear suspension. by this time my OCD was wearing out. also you can see the Centreline wheel on the monro he,he

This week end job will be to replace the oil in the diff then the car will be on the ground and take it for a drive (as long as it does not rain)

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Gotta like the OCD :p

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Today's job is to change the oil in the Diff. now I got 8mm or 5/16 allen key, shortened the short end so the key misses the exhaust pipe and spend 40 minutes making a leverage rod out of stainless steel ( 750 long and a diameter of 12mm). Yes to drill the centre of this rod was a pain as I had to use a pilot drill than another bigger size then the final size which was 8.5mm. Drill up the rod up to 70MM, use lucubration fluid and drill it slowly. Maybe later I will pic of this.