Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone changed their leather colour themselves?

G

GMVBSLE

I'm looking for tips from someone that has successfully (well wearing & factory looking) changed the colour of their leather seats? Was a special dye used? I want to change the grey colour of my seats from a VR Stato to a matt/satin black like the later models.
I also want to change the black/grey Statesman door trims to match the rest of the greeny/blue colour in my VP. I know heaps of people have done this for show cars but will it stand up to normal use? Can you do it with 2 pac and flex agent added? Was plastiprime used? I haven't seen the colour I want in the vinyl dye range you can buy, so I'm hoping it can be done in 2 pac. Then I can colour match it myself. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Al.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
your best bet is to use VHT vinyl dye. should go on with no undercoat, as long as teh surface is meticulously clean

R

rattattack1313

Being a darkish color to start with should make it easier.....go to a hobby/craft shop...and buy a litre of Black "Raven's Oil"....but make sure you buff it all off the surface....or don't wear light colored clothes for a while.........it will stain things a little.......but it soaks right into the leather....the door-skins are not hard either....just takes time...( I have The Window Removal Tool number 5,849,0583,2957 mark 3........if you need to get the winders off...I live 7 K's south of Brizz city....).....

G

GMVBSLE

Thanks for the tip on Raven's Oil, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the offer with the winders too. Much appreciated. I'll be able to pull them off, I've got the tools and have done it literally hundreds of times (I'm a spraypainter) and will be able to handle the prep. I've used vinyl spray before but like I said, I'm trying to match a colour they don't sell.
I've had tape let go in my masking before and got some overspray (2Pac) on the interior vinyl that was an absolute bugger to remove, so I was wondering if anyone had used it for this purpose before and how it went.
Thanks.