Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone detuned their VF or WN V8 to meet P Plate power restrictions?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Yes, I realise it's a slightly unusual question, but I have my heart set on getting a WN series 2 Caprice for our next family car. It is only available in a 6.2 litre V8 which has a power to weight ratio of 168.5 kW/tonne, but P Platers in SA (and Vic, NSW & Qld) are limited to vehicles under 130 kW/tonne. My daughter is currently learning to drive, and will have P plates for 3 years after she passes her learner's. Exemptions can be given, but it's usually only for work related reasons, ie you need to drive a specific vehicle for work purposes. She will have her own car, but there will be times when she may need to or we may want her to drive the Caprice.

I was thinking that it may be an option to have the car detuned by around 20% - either semi permanently (ie until she is off her P plates), or by specific key (ie one key for my daughter which will put the car in detuned mode) and one key for my wife and I in normal tuned mode. If that is not too hard to do, then I'll apply for exemption on the basis that I will have the detuning done and verified so that the car as tuned when she drives it will meet the lower power to weight ratio requirements.

Yes, I could opt for a V6 Calais instead, but we currently have a WM Caprice as a family car. It is spacious, reliable and safe, so my preference by far would be another Caprice.

It is a little crazy that as a Learner Driver, she can legally drive our existing Caprice (it is only a V6, so she can still drive it on P plates as well), but she can also drive our V8 SS Crewman, our twin turbo 300ZX, or even our XU-1 Torana (but Dad says NO!) but as soon as she gets her P plates, she is not allowed to drive them.

Thanks all, I'd be interested in your thoughts or experience.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Hi, I've posted a message in the tuning forum enquiring about the practicality of detuning a WN Caprice so that it does not exceed the 130kW/tonne limit, so my daughter could still drive it while she was on P Plates. I thought I'd ask here, as this might be a more relevant forum to ask the question.

Link to the original post below.

Thanks all.

Post in Tuning forum

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Instead of going through all that headache, let the daughter drive the V6 Caprice for 3 years and the rest of the family drive the V8 Caprice....

The detuning/retuning sounds like a pipe dream that has no hope of working in any way shape or form

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Honestly, it sounds like a dream that won't become reality...

And I mean that in a nice way :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Only one thread per topic!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I mean, yeah.

Technically you could. Have it set up almost like Valet mode. But as far as then telling the police that you've modified the ECU programming away from standard might land you in a whole new world of pain.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Would be easier to de badge it and keep it stock. Even fit the single rear pipes from a V6 if your going that far.
Unless she drives like a dick you would be super unlucky to get done.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Or carry round some extra weight in the boot to blunt that kW/t number!

I don't know the ins and outs but sounds like your a bit stuck until she is off the P's. I'm not sure there would be much you can do adjust the pwer to eight in the eyes of the law.

Nice collection of cars you have, but might need to add a 2l hatch to it, at least for now?