Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone detuned their VF or WN V8 to meet P Plate power restrictions?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Nice collection of cars you have, but might need to add a 2l hatch to it, at least for now?
+1 for the hatch.
I just got a 2L TDI Golf as a daily. 970km from 52L of diesel and has a good bit of go about it aswell.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Honestly, it sounds like a dream that won't become reality...

And I mean that in a nice way :)
I know of some earlier mid 90s Commodores that had been reprogrammed to have two modes ("fun" and "legal/performance limited" for when the car was in for a service, tyres, etc), and I'm sure at least one of them was via the ignition key ID. I wasn't sure if anyone had tried it on the latest GM management systems. I thought it was at least worthwhile asking.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
From SA My Licence website

High powered vehicle restrictions apply:
  • if you are a provisional licence holder under the age of 25
Changes to High Powered Vehicles Restrictions
On 1 March 2014, the definition of high powered vehicles changed for vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 2010. This allows all types of vehicles, regardless of the number of cylinders, fuel type, being turbo or super charged, to be driven by provisional licence holders, on the condition that the vehicle power to weight ratio is not greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne in tare mass, and no modification is made to alter engine performance.

So as mentioned, if it’s a black listed vehicle, it can‘t be driven by a P player under 25 years of age...

Also from the same page, 3rd tab, the following is stated.

For vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 2010, a HPV is defined as a light vehicle (GVM 4500kg or less) that has:
  • A power to weight ratio greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne in tare mass, or
  • Any modification to vary engine performance (other than vehicles that have been so modified by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle).
So any modification to vary engine performance results in that vehicle being classified as a HPV. And because bureaucracies are the way they are, even detuning an engine of a non HPV, to reduce power, would be classified as a modification which now makes that vehicle a HPV... :eek:

As for it being crazy that someone can learn to drive for example in a Ferrari to take an extreme, well they are being supervised at all times (as also stated on the linked web page). Not really crazy when you consider the phrase “mice will play when the cat is away“.

Best advice is try for an exemption or suck it up and teach your daughter to follow the rules.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't check that other part of the forum you posted in ... but have you applied for the exemption?

https://mylicence.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/125051/MR1329.pdf
I haven't applied yet, but I will (I haven't got a WN yet, and they need vehicle detials on the form). I figured it would stand a much better chance of being accepted if I at least attempted to meet the requirements.

Apparently she would be fine to drive it in ACT, WA, NT and Tas, but banned in SA, Vic, NSW and Qld. So much for national rules.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Instead of going through all that headache, let the daughter drive the V6 Caprice for 3 years and the rest of the family drive the V8 Caprice....

The detuning/retuning sounds like a pipe dream that has no hope of working in any way shape or form
She will have her own car that will be an approved one, but it would be good if she could at least drive the family car too - we do a lot of driving holidays around Australia.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would be easier to de badge it and keep it stock. Even fit the single rear pipes from a V6 if your going that far.
Unless she drives like a dick you would be super unlucky to get done.
Hah! Lateral thinking! Like it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Apparently she would be fine to drive it in ACT, WA, NT and Tas, but banned in SA, Vic, NSW and Qld. So much for national rules.
You can only get a state based license as “Australian licences“ or “Australian Registration” do not exist :(

Any focus on national rules seem to relate to seeing what other states fine people and matching or exceeding the highest amount around... sort of a fines arms race if you will :rolleyes:

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
From SA My Licence website

High powered vehicle restrictions apply:
  • if you are a provisional licence holder under the age of 25
Changes to High Powered Vehicles Restrictions
On 1 March 2014, the definition of high powered vehicles changed for vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 2010. This allows all types of vehicles, regardless of the number of cylinders, fuel type, being turbo or super charged, to be driven by provisional licence holders, on the condition that the vehicle power to weight ratio is not greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne in tare mass, and no modification is made to alter engine performance.

So as mentioned, if it’s a black listed vehicle, it can‘t be driven by a P player under 25 years of age...

Also from the same page, 3rd tab, the following is stated.

For vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 2010, a HPV is defined as a light vehicle (GVM 4500kg or less) that has:
  • A power to weight ratio greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne in tare mass, or
  • Any modification to vary engine performance (other than vehicles that have been so modified by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle).
So any modification to vary engine performance results in that vehicle being classified as a HPV. And because bureaucracies are the way they are, even detuning an engine of a non HPV, to reduce power, would be classified as a modification which now makes that vehicle a HPV... :eek:

As for it being crazy that someone can learn to drive for example in a Ferrari to take an extreme, well they are being supervised at all times (as also stated on the linked web page). Not really crazy when you consider the phrase “mice will play when the cat is away“.

Best advice is try for an exemption or suck it up and teach your daughter to follow the rules.
Yep, I read through all of that and more.

Maybe a few large lead weights bolted in the boot? I's certainly big enough!