Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone done a full series 1 to series 2 stereo upgrade on a WM Caprice?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
I've searched and found a few similar posts, but not the information I'm after. I'm going to attempt a series 1 to series 2 upgrade of a WM Caprice stereo. I already have a series 2 stereo, and I know that I will need it reprogrammed to the VIN of the car, as well as needing an adaptor loom, which I can get from Envyous Customs.

I also want to fit the series 2 rear view camera to the series 1 car. I have the series 2 camera and the boot lid trim plate. Can anyone tell me if the series 2 reverse camera is hard wired all the way back to the stereo, or does it go via Canbus or via another system somewhere? If it's hard wired, I can grab the series 2 wiring and retrofit it to the series 1 loom all the way back to the stereo.

Also, for the satnav system (which my series 1 does not have), does it need the series 2 GPS receiver from the windscreen, or will the series 1 GPS receiver work on the series 2 setup?

Lucky last, the series 1 a/c has tri-zone, but I think that the series 2 only has dual zone, but I'm not sure on that. If I fit the series 2 stereo unit, will I still have tri-zone, or will it revert to dual zone? I'm not fussed if it does, as long as the A/C still works.

Might be some interesting times ahead.......

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Series 2 setup is quite ancient these days ... after market setup probably a better choice
If you can find something that fits in a WM Caprice and still retains all of the tri zone A/C, parking sensor and rear screen DVD functionality.........

For less than the cost of a WN Caprice! ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The WM stereo etc looks the same as a series 2 pretty much.

You loose the vehicles trademark rear climate control.

I think your only option would be a CarPlay/AndroidAuto dongle. Then a touch screen over lay.