Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone elses vz v6 developed a ticking noise after oil change??

mike4226

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe 3.6
Hi guys i have a tick from drivers side and sure its a lifter,only happened when the oil was changed so put some lifter free in it before xmas and its still apparent,Any ideas how much to fix the lifter thanks

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
Hmm, mine was doing it too, but was 3k over due for a service, after the service, no more noise.

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
What oil did you use?

I've heard from many people that Magnatec can cause ticking noises like that. It sure did for mine..

mike4226

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe 3.6
thanks guys.got it serviced at auto leaders and they use valvoline semi synthetic.Took it back to them and they put in the nulon lifter free.My vs had the same tick so not too worried at this stage as its not getting any worse but im thinking about giving the motor a flush using an additive then putting penrite in it

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Changing the oil is a good place to start.
Personally I wouldn't use a oil flush additive. They have been known to make oil seals weep. But given your engine is relatively new, you should be OK.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
You might also want to check the purge control solenoid left side of engine (passenger side) at idle; a loud ticking/tapping is not a normal condition but can be isolated as cause of ticking by removing plastic cover and listening/feeling solenoid when engine idled, and again when engine speed is increased. A loud, rapid ticking/tapping favours scrutiny; a soft ticking is normal.

Last edited:

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
can the purge thingi cause bad fuel economy if its not working, also can it cause power loss if its ticking and not working properly. Mine does tick a fair bit, but it may be unrelated but I have also lost maybe 10 to 15% power and have slightly worse fuel economy too.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
can the purge thingi cause bad fuel economy if its not working, also can it cause power loss if its ticking and not working properly. Mine does tick a fair bit, but it may be unrelated but I have also lost maybe 10 to 15% power and have slightly worse fuel economy too.

Anyone got an answer to this?
It also relates to my car. :)