Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone fitted a willowood boosterless system into a vb ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Why does it need engineering? Why not just blueslip rego instead if period mods fitted?
Its not an issue of period mods... what was allowed in the 80’s may not pass muster if fitting now...

The current state for pre ABS cars (I believe) Australia wide is that If the brakes are an optional fit for that series, the RMS example is LS base model Torana being fitted with LC GTR brakes, then it doesn't need engineering. But “that series” in this case is VY, so any factory brakes from a later model series VX or later will require engineering. If the vehicle has ABS, you need engineering unless it was optional on that model variant and listed on the RVD.

As Ron found out, engineering isn’t difficult or very expensive, especially if the engineer has previous experience with common brake mods.

As to blue slip, if the inspector notices non period brakes you could have issues. Id guess it may probably be more of an issue if you went much later VE brakes on a VB... that should be more noticeable and technically shouldn’t be passed. But who knows what mood these guys are in on the day...

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
Thank you as now know was rorted and all is not lost.. sticking to the original master/booster set up & vt disc /caliper set up in pics. Car is 78 Oct, November period build as stamped vin on front apron reads AV0448....( can't give full vin# on net) I bought the car in the late 90s after being destined for crusher a as I knew owner I gave him $500 for it to save it) I was lucky to find a mechanic with old holden book of numbers(a Cumberland cab service centre as most cabs were commodores back in the day ) and able to confirm with and able to re-register car back in 2000s as no compliance plate fitted( what a hassle that was but got full rego statice on car.. cops have ball pulling me over as pic no comp plate straight up.. but there computer ( & rta)says legal no compliance plate fitted compliant ! and is why i had to build original bcast motor back in the car ( upped to 308/355 of course as is what you do)
book numbers said this car was a standard sle no power windows no aircon vynle interrior ( the stock as a rock car) 4 speed headlight wipers ( what we used to call the poverty pac sle) as this i know because heaterbox motor non a/c ( took 4 years to find one and many arguments with wreckers and pics sent to confirm non a/c heater blower motor ( will wack up pics of it for you all to see) and radiator auto trans line inputs blocked off to suit manual and is the original radiator in car and no tranny lines present no intercooler or thermo fans and car was my mates grandads so I am 3rd owner of car as bought of oldm8 who did the boy racer to it before being stolen all he did was wack a celica( dellow convertion) box in it and stroked the 253 out to 289 ( replacing original m21 box ). this has no wood grain dash is stock standard blue (cerulin?) same as seats with tach and all sle instrumentation and a" metalic "blue paint job I think you call it?
car was shown at south coast nationals in the early 2000s after new motor re paint ect and was First in the commodore line up of holden show cars and the first car in line up for the peter brock memorial held at parliament house lawns in Canberra when he died (didnt the HDT boys hate that as my old girl was the first, pre HDT and a champion rally car to boot as came 1,2,3 in class at aust rally championship in 78 thanks to brock and colin bond in an untested car no less and brock claims was the best race win of his career
And why I saved the car and am restoring for the kids to see were it all begain . once again thank you all for your help as without it i would i would be stuffed ! THANK YOU ALL .

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_141955.jpg
    IMG_20200917_141955.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200917_142007.jpg
    IMG_20200917_142007.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20200917_142104.jpg
    IMG_20200917_142104.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20200917_142029.jpg
    IMG_20200917_142029.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 108

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think you have ead it wrong you can use original m/cyl & booster with ve brakes...vt brakes require vt m/cyl which can use vt booster or plastic vs booster if want better rocker cover clearance also need brake line adaptors or original lines double flared.

vt brakes with original m/cyl = spongey brakes/pedal

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
So I just change the master cylinder from vb to vt and also get adapter set and can keep the same booster to run brakes in pics(previously posted) as am told are not ve but vt by fellow members as space is not a problem is stock looking donk ( 2 the untrained eye..) or do I have to change booster to vt as well?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
So I just change the master cylinder from vb to vt and also get adapter set and can keep the same booster to run brakes in pics(previously posted) as am told are not ve but vt by fellow members as space is not a problem is stock looking donk ( 2 the untrained eye..) or do I have to change booster to vt as well?
Doing a vb project as well... Don’t sweat about the ve brakes, basically the same thing, vt has slightly larger pads and master cylinder and discs, not much though, both ok to use as a set. The vt master is bigger than 1” and a fast fill option which is needed for the larger pads with disks and 2 piston callipers. If you want to install the vt booster double booster like your original v8 one, you will need to alter the vb rear booster bracket, later boosters don:t have a rear bracket, they bolt to the welded plate on the 1piece brake pedal inside car and have different rod hole spot.

My dads vk has the full vt vx kit. Originally used the larger plastic vs booster, thinner size, worked very well but we had some spongey pedal action so decided to do the vt booster change, after trial and error now have the full stock factory vt vx upgrade, worth the effort to do as brakes stop great. Upgrade looks original in bay except rerouted brake lines with adapters, gtrboy correct with full vt vx booster master has less rocker cover line clearance..