Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone heard about this Issue

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
This is my sons new problem with his WH 2002 Statesman V6

Ever since I have fixed or this could have happened before I started to fix the car my Son car has a strange issue which is when the car stops the car engine runs like you have a stuck throttle on this auto car. Now if it puts it in neutral it goes to 3000 RPM but if you shut the car then restart it its ok. Now Is suspect the the Cruise Control is doing something funny as in the Throttle Body You have two cables 1/ for your throttle and another for Cruise Control and since I have seen the car do this (unfortunately after he turned the car off) and I cannot see anything wrong with the throttle Body I suspect the Cruise Control is pulling the cable so the engine is going to 3000 RPM then when you turn the engine off it resets it.
The FUNNY thing or very ODD it happened twice (my Son told me this) on the same stretch of road next the SPEED and RED LIGHT Cameras.
Any Input on this will be welcome
Anyhow I have Disconnected the Cruise Control ONLY VIA THE CABLE NOT THE FUSE.
Thanks

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
First and easiest job is to thoroughly clean the throttle body. This means removing it and carefully scraping away accumulated carbon and crud, not only from the bore, but especially the butterfly valve. Using a soft metal (brass) or stiff plastic scraper, pay particular attention to the edges of the butterfly. Just spraying TB cleaner while the engine is running won't shift the accumulated baked-on grunge, which tends to make the butterfly stick at idle and prevent it from closing properly, leading to a high idle speed. Before starting the job, make sure you have a new gasket ready in case the old paper one rips.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
First and easiest job is to thoroughly clean the throttle body. This means removing it and carefully scraping away accumulated carbon and crud, not only from the bore, but especially the butterfly valve. Using a soft metal (brass) or stiff plastic scraper, pay particular attention to the edges of the butterfly. Just spraying TB cleaner while the engine is running won't shift the accumulated baked-on grunge, which tends to make the butterfly stick at idle and prevent it from closing properly, leading to a high idle speed. Before starting the job, make sure you have a new gasket ready in case the old paper one rips.
Yes I done this when I replaced the LIM Gaskets. Now I think the issue is the throttle cable, as the cable for the Cruise control is disconnected and it done the same this morning. No I told my Son the next time it does it stop the car and he did and the RPM was 2000 and put in PARK and 2000 RPM then BLOP the throttle then after this it went back to 750 RPM so it a sticky throttle cable or a weak return spring

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Could be a faulty IAC valve or throttle position sensor, have you checked for fault codes.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When the car is at the right revs with handbrake on move the shifter through the gears your rev meter should bounce like drop down and back up if not then the IAC is farked, also remove the cruise cable and see if its sticking if so replace motor.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could be a faulty IAC valve or throttle position sensor, have you checked for fault codes.
Yes did not check for code (forgot to do it) but I did change to the spare throttle position switch and the IAC Valve is new but when the car comes back I will check the codes

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
When the car is at the right revs with handbrake on move the shifter through the gears your rev meter should bounce like drop down and back up if not then the IAC is farked, also remove the cruise cable and see if its sticking if so replace motor.
yes remove the cruise cable and it still does it
when the car come back I will test the above, it has to come back because of a Bad earth on the left rear tail light (very dim)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yes remove the cruise cable and it still does it
when the car come back I will test the above, it has to come back because of a Bad earth on the left rear tail light (very dim)
Ok might be worth pulling of the accelerator cable and pull it see if its moving freely as well, once all the simple things are tested then its leaves your TPS or IAC.