Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone installed LED indicators in a VE?

shaunve

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Sportwagon
Hi guys,

Ive gone a bit LED mad in the VE Sportwagon, having replaced all standard globes with LED's, with the exception of the indicators.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully replaced their VE indicators with LED's including the flasher unit to maintain normal flash rate. I know with my motorbike i just replaced the flasher unit with a specific LED one, but i dont know where that is in the VE or whether they have one at all? Or do i have to fit a resistor in the wiring to get normal flash rate?

Any help would be appreciated,

Shaun.

huthy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Yeah bud done this. Sorry to tell u from what I have been told there is no flasher unit u can just change u have put resistor in with each bulb. I just put up with the quick flash rate. On another note if u haven't already change ur reverse lights to a nice white led light I reckon it looks way better then standard look

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
You can buy LEDs with the correct resistance built in so to the car there is no difference in voltage compared with a normal globe.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
I have led bulbs on all 4 indicators and they each have connected load resistors with heatsinks which stops fast blinkers. You can easily get them off ebay. Love em.

rum87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Redline Ute M6
What are the type of bulb in the reverse and tail lights? I also would like to swap out my bulbs.

Cheers Matt

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
If it's just the 'fried egg' look you are trying to eliminate just get those silver coated bulbs. I put them in my Stato and they look the goods, the headlights are just silver and black and the taillights are the same (except with red lol).

shaunve

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Sportwagon
I have led bulbs on all 4 indicators and they each have connected load resistors with heatsinks which stops fast blinkers. You can easily get them off ebay. Love em.[/QUOTE

Ok, thanks guys. These are the type of led's I'm after with the built in load resistors. It's just that when I search on eBay, I get about thirteen thousand results from china etc, and I'm not sure which ones are suitable. I don't suppose you'd have a link or remember the store name from which you got them??
Also, how are the load resistors built in to the 'bayonet' type indicator globes? I could wire in the resistors to the rear indicator globes as they have wires exposed within the cluster, but the front globes don't have any wires exposed.
Thanks for any advice,
Shaun.

Last edited:

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
My load resistors are separate to the bulbs as for better cooling & hiding spot. Load resistors can get very hot at times. Mine is spliced into the indicator loom outside the assembly. Search the following on Ebay: Flash Rate Load Resistors LED Turn Signals Controllers
Seller is zsjladyshop. I bought 2 sets, very good product.
Search for bulbs on Ebay: 1156 BAU15S 30 SMD LED Turn Signal Light Bulb Lamp
Also very good products.

shaunve

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Sportwagon
Ok, thanks mate. Do you have a VE though? I can probably install the resistors in the rear brake light/indicator clusters as there are exposed wires available, but in the front indicator clusters there are no exposed wires and the bulbs just fit in a housing that appears to use electrical contacts instead of wires if that makes sense.

Apparently you can fit a large enough resistor into the LED itself, hence external resistors are required to maintain normal flash rate.

Shaun.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
My VE Omega, I have aftermarket head lights & tail lights that had looms coming out of assembly which was so easy to install load resistors.