Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone mounted a dashcam in a VY Series 2 Executive?

n.risch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
Hi all,
I recently got a dash cam with a cigarette lighter adaptor for my car, but due to the location of the normal cigarette port in the VY I can't really mount the camera without wies running around the cabin of my car.
Has anyone mounted a dash cam in their vehicle, and if so how did you get it to be powered and still be able to change it to a new vehicle if you ever need to?
The dash cam is the Philips ADR810s.
Thanks.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Run the wire under your dash mat and mount the camera lower with windshield mount.

n.risch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
Run the wire under your dash mat and mount the camera lower with windshield mount.
I'm more concerned about getting the unit power. I can't see a way to without have wires are hanging in the cabin

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i bought a longer cable and ran it on passenger side under the trim and mat behind the seat to the console in the vz sedan. i got multi plug /usb in there to power the phone, gps, dash cam

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Have you thought about picking up the power feed for the map lights in the roof console? Remove the large power plug and either cut off the excess wire or stow it inside the overhead console. Fit an inline fuse to the camera power wire and splice it to the light power feed. The earth can be fitted to one of the console mounting screws. This is the way I plan to wire mine up.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Just be careful when wiring it up
Most dash cams run on 5 volts . You don't want to fry it by wiring it up to 12 volts

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I purchased a Viofo 119S with the optional hard wiring kit. It has a transformer and in- line fuse built in, so my advice earlier really should ONLY apply to hard-wiring kits and not the plug-in lead.

Also, looking at my kit, shortening isn't an option because the lead between the camera and transformer is pretty long but shouldn't be cut, so I'll have to look at stuffing the whole lot inside the console.

The idea with this suggestion obviously is to avoid having wires either hanging down to the car's power socket, or going to a lot of trouble trying to run the lead around the screen and through the dashboard.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have mine mounted behind the mirror and cable tucked under the roof lining down passenger side windscreen trim and behind glovebox . I purchased a dual outlet socket and hard wired it to the smokers pack behind the console . Have GPS plugged into one and dash cam into the other which frees up the console socket

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't have the spare power outlet like the VY had for the smokers pack and the power and USB sockets are buried in the console bin. Running wires to them would be a real hassle and involve drilling holes in the trim. Not real keen to do that.

However, your solution might be more appropriate to the OP who wants to fit his dashcam to a VY.