Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone painted a Calais boot garnish?

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Hey guys,

(this actually is for the VK but I figured there's probably more VL guys who've tried it...)

I've been polishing the living hell out of my Calais boot garnish today but I can't get it to come as good as I'd like - especially where the Holden badge was (very noticeable!)

So I was thinking of getting some gloss black and giving it the once-over... anyone tried it, and how did it come out?

Cheers,
Chris.

SUSPECT

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.calaisturbo.com.au
Members Ride
SUZUKI GSX-R 1000 k8
i havnt got my boot garnish but i sprayed my tail light garnish and that came up pretty awsome, it was grey with the commodore badge and now its black...
Picture017.jpg

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Yeah? That's a pretty decent result :)

I just need to find some paint as close to the red/orange striping... I've got a NOS LH taillight and the rest is close to new, but the eyebrows and garnish are pretty average :(

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
When painting things like that, I find you get better 'shine' if you give it say, 2-3 coats of gloss black, then about 3 coats of a clear gloss. Also adds a little protection.

Also, lightly sand the surface, and prepsol it, to give the paint a better chance at sticking to the plastic.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Prepsol and sanding is the plan! I'll give the clear a shot - though out of a pressure pack it's hard to get the flat finish I'm after... when I did my grille it took forever to get a good finish - and that was only because it was in a light colour and you couln't see the orange peel.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Pressure packs are difficult to get a good finish off, but if you follow the same sort of 'technique' when using a pressure pack, as you would an air spray gun, you should do pretty good with it.

Just remember, short bursts, in a steady horizontal direction and hold the can approx. 20 cm away from what your spraying to aviod runs etc. Don't be tempted to apply more paint straight away becuase it doesn't seem to covering what your painting. Just keep at it, and you'll eventually get the finsih you are after.

Good luck!

samvlcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
hi

yeah i did it to mine... used $2.50 can of export gloss black paint. just remember to use 'light and even' coats... took me about 2-3 days to get the result i wanted. REMEMBER when painting 'less is more'

warney

did you say bukakki party
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL skid car what else are they built to do
or buy auotmotive paint and do it through a gun, much better result and will last much longer , and try a primer aswell, makes **** stick ironically !!!!

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
plastic primer at that, spray on and dont have to rubb it back after, its a clear darkish liquard that u spray on then just spray over. it helps the paint stick:thumbsup: